Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Aug 11 at 14:57 PM


Town suffered their first defeat of the season against Hull City thanks to a solitary strike from Matty Fryatt.

The former Leicester frontman struck with 15 minutes remaining to see the Tigers leave Portman Road with all three points.

Paul Jewell recalled Damien Delaney to the starting line-up and he played alongside Tommy Smith at centre back after recovering from the ankle injury he picked up against Bristol City, while new signing Keith Andrews was named on the bench.

The game started as a real midfield battled with chances at a premium and saw both sides battling for possession in the middle of the park. Most of Portman Road thought that left-back Aaron Cresswell had given Town the lead on 22 minutes, after his deep cross looked to have caught Hull 'keeper Peter Gulacsi off guard, but unfortunately for Town the ball only hit the side netting.

Lee Martin then tried his luck from range, bending a shot from the left-hand side that just flew just over the crossbar.

Midfielder Lee Bowyer forced a good stop from Gulacsi after being fed by Cresswell, and from the resulting corner Delaney almost broke the deadlock against his former club but his header was just an inch too high.

Delaney went close again soon after, as he met a Grant Leadbitter cross with a firm header that nestled on the roof of the net with Gulacsi well beaten.

Despite Town being in control of the game, it was the Tigers who came closest to opening the scoring on 37 minutes, when a flicked header by Jack Hobbs reached Fryatt unmarked at the back post but the striker failed to connect from six yards.

Town almost took the lead in bizarre fashion shortly before the break, as a Mark Kennedy run was halted by a good tackle from Hobbs which deflected towards goal, but somehow Gulacsi managed to claw the ball away from goal and out for a corner.

Delaney was frustrated in his attempts to score yet again, as after meeting a Leadbitter corner with a strong header he saw the ball smack against the crossbar and go out of play.

Into the second-half and it was the visitors who started the brighter and Robert Koren forced a fine save out of David Stockdale in the Town goal, as he pushed the Slovenian's long range drive behind for a corner.

Stockdale had to be alert to keep hold out Smith backward header, as well as dealing with a speculative effort from Koren 65 minutes in.

Town continued to press looking for a breakthrough and Micheal Chopra hit a shot from range that tested Gulacsi, but the Hungarian 'keeper held onto the ball well.

Leadbitter found himself in some space in the middle of the park and although he struck the ball well, his shot was always going wide of Gulacsi's post.

However the deadlock was finally broken 15 minutes from time, as Fryatt twisted past Tommy Smith before coolly finishing past Stockdale to put Hull in front.

Town responded to the goal by adding Nathan Ellington to the attack and Blues then created a goalscoring chance almost immediately. Carlos Edwards' cross was inch perfect to the unmarked Martin at the back post, but he headed straight at Gulacsi.

Town continued to press and almost scored a dramatic equaliser in stoppage time, but Cresswell's stunning long range effort whistled narrowly over the bar.

Paul Jewell's side will be looking to get back to winning ways on Tuesday night, when Southampton are the visitors to Portman Road, kick-off 7.45pm.

Town: Stockdale, Edwards, Cresswell, Delaney, Smith, Leadbitter, Kennedy (Andrews 64), Bowyer (Ellington 78) Martin, Emmanuel-Thomas (Carson 69), Chopra. Subs not used: Lee-Barrett, Ainsley.

Hull: Gulacsi, Rosenior, Chester, Hobbs, Dudgeon, McKenna, Evans, Koren (Adebola 90), Cairney, Brady (Mclean 87), Fryatt (Barmby 80). Subs not used: Basso, Bradley.

Att: 18,116

    Latest Match Reports