Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Oct 11 at 14:29 PM


Town extended the unbeaten run to five games after claiming a 2-2 draw against Cardiff.

Goals from Jason Scotland and Michael Chopra looked to have been enough for Town to take all three points, but a late Peter Whittingham penalty ensured that the game ended all square.

Paul Jewell selected the same side that beat Brighton before the international break, with Daryl Murphy unable to break back into the team after overcoming his recent injury.

Town started the game brightly and Scotland had an early attempt well saved by David Marshall after only three minutes.

Carlos Edwards was getting plenty of room down the right-hand side and he squandered a decent chance after being played in by Keith Andrews, but the right-back sliced his effort wide of the goal.

The first chance of the game for the home side fell to striker Robert Earnshaw, who tested David Stockdale from range but his effort was easily held by the England stopper.

Edwards again went close after 13 minutes. Neat passing in the midfield saw Andrews find space on the edge of the box to fire in a shot that was blocked, but the right-back again fired wide.

However it was Cardiff who took the lead, after 19 minutes. A long throw-in by Aaron Gunnarsson was met by the head of Rudy Gestede who powered the ball past David Stockdale and into the Town net.

Despite being behind, Town were playing some good football and were soon back level.

Good build-up play in midfield saw the ball worked on to Scotland, who rifled a left-foot shot into the bottom corner that left Cardiff 'keeper Marshall with no chance on the half hour mark.

Blues almost went in leading at the break, but Chopra's effort four minutes before half-time shaved the post with Marshall well beat.

Town started the second-half in similar fashion to the first and were really taking the game to the Bluebirds.

Skipper Grant Leadbitter forced a fine save out of Marshall one minute after the restart, with the midfielder's curling effort superbly tipped over the bar by the Scottish 'keeper.

Scotland almost doubled his and Town's lead on the 50 minute mark, but after turning a Cardiff defender he couldn't keep his shot down and the ball flew over the bar.

But Town's dominance finally paid off and got the goal the play deserved after 51 minutes.

Good work down the left by Andrews saw him pick out Edwards in space, who in turn crossed to the back-post where Chopra was waiting to head home from close range against his former club.

The goal seemed to spring the home side into life somewhat and they were almost level on the hour mark, but substitute Filip Kiss failed to find the target with his header when unmarked at the back-post.

Kiss again went close with a header after 66 minutes, meeting a Don Cowie corner, but it was straight at Stockdale who held onto the ball well.

Good play from Andrews saw him slip in Scotland, who turned his marker in the box before seeing his low shot blocked by the legs of Marshall.

However the game took a huge twist after 70 minutes, when the referee awarded Cardiff a penalty after Edwards was adjudged to have handled the ball.

Midfielder Whittingham stepped up for Cardiff and converted the spot-kick to bring the game back level with 19 minutes remaining.

The Bluebirds were now in control and should have taken the lead with 10 minutes remaining, as goalscorer Gestede was sent through one-on-one with Stockdale, but the on-loan Town 'keeper produced a fine stop to keep the scores level.

Stockdale again came to Town's rescue as he made another fine save to push Cowie's downward header away from goal.

Town carried a threat though and Andrews went close with a well worked free-kick with five minutes remaining that flew just over Marshall's bar.

Then defender Ibrahima Sonko rose above his marker to power a header towards goal, but unfortunately he headed over the bar and the game finished level.

Cardiff: Marshall, McNaughton, Taylor, Hudson, Turner, Cowie, Whittingham, Gunnarsson, Conway (Kiss 52), Gestede, Earnshaw (Mason 73). Subs not used: Heaton, Quinn, Ralls. Booked: Gunnarsson, McNaughton

Town: Stockdale, Edwards, Collins, Sonko, Cresswell, Andrews, Bullard, Leadbitter, Bowyer (Wabara 82), Chopra (Emmanuel-Thomas 77), Scotland (Ellington 72). Subs not used: Lee-Barrett, Delaney. Booked: Andrews, Sonko

Att: 21, 809

    Latest Match Reports