Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 29 Oct 11 at 14:54 PM


Town suffered a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Millwall, despite Jimmy Bullard scoring his first goal of the season.

Early goals from Jay Simpson and Darius Henderson put the hosts in front, before Bullard pulled one back in the second-half.

However it proved to be consolation as the Lions added two more goals through Liam Feeney and Simpson to take all three points.

Paul Jewell recalled strikers Jason Scotland and Michael Chopra to the starting line-up, after they both started on the bench in the defeat to Crystal Palace, while Mark Kennedy started at left-back in place of the suspended Aaron Cresswell.

Town made the worse possible start to the game though, as the home side took the lead with their first attack of the match after six minutes.A great double save by Blues 'keeper David Stockdale wasn't enough as Simpson bundled the ball home from close range after Town failed to clear their lines.

Town responded a minute later through Chopra, but the striker failed to get his shot on target from a tight angle and the ball flashed wide of the post.

But things got worse for Town after nine minutes as the home side doubled their lead. Stockdale made a fine save from a Simpson shot but Town failed to clear the danger and striker Henderson made no mistake when the ball landed at his feet, as he coolly slotted into the bottom corner.

Paul Jewell was forced into his first change of the afternoon after 18 minutes, after midfielder Lee Bowyer picked up an injury before being replaced by Reece Wabara.

The home side were dominant in midfield and former Blue Liam Trotter almost broke through the Town defence with a surge through the centre of the pitch, but Ibrahima Sonko managed to get a block in just before Trotter let fly.

However, just after the half hour mark Town almost pulled a goal back in spectacular fashion as Millwall 'keeper David Forde raced out of his goal, but Scotland's 35 yard lob went inches wide of the goal and out for a goal-kick.

Town boss Paul Jewell was forced to make another substitution five minutes before the break, as defender Sonko fell awkwardly after a challenge and was replaced by Ivar Ingimarsson, who featured for the first time since the win against Bristol City on the opening day of the season.

The Lions were looking to extend their lead and good link up play between Brian Howard and the goalscorer Henderson saw the former through on goal, but his volley sailed well wide of Stockdale's goal.

Town started the second-half much brighter than they did the first and Chopra had claims for a penalty turned down, after his shot was blocked, with the 1608 Blues fans behind the goal screaming for a spot-kick.

From the resulting corner, Danny Collins rose highest but his powerful header went over the bar five minutes after the restart.

But the Lions hit back straight away and good work from Feeney saw him steal the ball away from Collins before releasing Simpson, but the striker's effort thumped back off the post.

The loose ball found its way over to Howard, who thought he had scored at the back post, but a clawing save from Stockdale prevented the home side from extending their lead.

However Town got back in the game after 66 minutes, as Blues pulled a goal back, after a mazy run from Jimmy Bullard was followed by a cool finish into the bottom corner.

The game was becoming a real end-to-end affair and Town came close to equalising after 70 minutes, but Chopra's shot was deflected into the side-netting with Forde beaten.

While at the other end, good recovery defending from Kennedy prevented Howard getting a shot away when through on goal.

But the Lions did extend their lead soon after through the lively Feeney. A mix-up between Bullard and Collins saw Simpson emerge with the ball before feeding the winger who slotted the ball through Stockdale's legs and into the net after 73 minutes.

Two minutes later and the home side scored again. Simpson cut in from the left before unleashing a powerful effort that went beyond Stockdale and into the net, to score his second of the game and Millwall's fourth.

Keith Andrews almost scored a second for Town with seven minutes remaining, but his thunderous effort from 30 yards crashed back off the crossbar with Forde well beaten.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Robinson, Ward, Smith, Feeney (N'Guessan 90), Howard (Henry 89), Trotter, Abdou, Simpson (Mkandawire 86,)Henderson. Subs not used: Mildenhall, Agyemang.

Town: Stockdale, Edwards (Emmanuel-Thomas 62), Kennedy, Sonko (Ingimarsson 40), Collins, Andrews, Bullard, Leadbitter, Bowyer (Wabara 18), Scotland, Chopra. Subs not used: Lee-Barrett, Ellington.

Att: 12, 464

    Latest Match Reports