Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 26 Dec 11 at 14:12 PM


Town extended the unbeaten run to three games after earning a well deserved point against Leicester.

Lee Bowyer's second goal of the season had put Town in front at the King Power Stadium, before a Paul Gallagher penalty saw the hosts take a share of the spoils.

Michael Chopra had earlier missed a penalty for Town, less than a minute after the game had kicked off.

Paul Jewell made one change to the side that beat Derby last time out, with Damien Delaney replacing Danny Collins at centre-half following the defender's return to Stoke.

The game started at a frenetic pace and Town had the perfect opportunity to open the scoring less than a minute after the kick-off.

Neat passing from Town saw the ball worked to Lee Martin, who was tripped in the area by Foxes left-back Paul Konchesky, with referee Darren Drysdale immediately pointed to the penalty spot.

Chopra stepped up but saw his penalty superbly saved by Kasper Schmeichel and tipped around the post for a corner.

However Town maintained the early pressure and were soon rewarded. The home side failed to clear the danger in the penalty area and Bowyer ghosted in to fire past Schmeichel after just four minutes.

Leicester responded to going behind almost instantly and winger Lloyd Dyer should have equalised after six minutes.Good work from Gallagher on the right saw him cross to Dyer at the back-post, but the former MK Dons man saw his shot kept out well by the legs of Arran Lee-Barrett.

Gallagher was looking bright for the hosts and wasn't far away with a free-kick that went just past the post, after Ibrahima Sonko had brought down David Nugent in the build up, collecting a booking for his troubles.

But Town were still looking the more dangerous of the two sides and a quick counter-attack saw Martin release Jason Scotland, following a mistake from Foxes defender Sol Bamba, but the Trinidad striker saw his shot easily saved by Schmeichel after 11 minutes.

Bamba almost made up for his error two minutes later, but headed over after climbing highest in the box to meet Gallagher's cross.

Town should have extended the lead after 17 minutes, but Delaney's headed knockdown across the area somehow evaded Scotland and Daryl Murphy in front of goal and the ball ran away from danger.

Nigel Pearson's side continued to press as they searched for an equaliser, which almost came through the lively Gallagher, but the midfielder saw a well hit shot from the edge of the area kept out by Lee-Barrett to see Town go in ahead at the break.

Town started the second half in similar fashion to the first, by creating a chance almost straight from the restart.Scotland picked the ball up in the Leicester half and turned well before charging into the Foxes' box, before seeing his shot well blocked by Matt Mills.

A minute later the hosts created a chance of their own, but just as Gallagher took fly Sonko arrived to make a superb last ditch block.

Lee-Barrett was again called into action ten minutes after the break, as after good work down the left by Konchesky saw him cross for Nugent who saw his effort kept out by the Town 'keeper with a great reflex save.

Town responded a minute later and Jimmy Bullard, who had earlier replaced Keith Andrews, forced a fine save out of Schmeichel with a drive from the edge of the box after Chopra had laid the ball off.

But the hosts pulled level in the 69th minute, after being awarded a penalty of their own. Scotland was alleged to have handled in the area and Gallagher made no mistake from the spot to make it all square.

Town did look to retake the lead and substitute Jay Emmanuel-Thomas almost broke free in the box after a good run, while at the other end Lee-Barrett had to be alert to deal with a Lee Peltier cross.

Emmanuel-Thomas then went close for Town again with a minute remaining, cutting in from the right before firing in a shot that went just over.

The Foxes also went close to snatching all three points in injury time, first through a deflected Gallagher free-kick and then Mills headed wide from six yards when he should have done better.

Despite late pressure from both sides, neither could find a winner and Town leave the King Power Stadium with a share of the spoils and extend the unbeaten run to three games.

Town are next in action on New Year 's Eve, with Paul Jewell's side travelling to Reading.

Leicester: Schmeichel, Peltier, Mills, Bamba, Konchesky, Gallagher, Wellens (Schlupp 87), Abe, Dyer (King 46), Beckford (Howard 84), Nugent. Subs not used: Weale, Danns.

Town: Lee-Barrett, Edwards, Sonko, Delaney, Cresswell, Martin, Bowyer, Andrews (Bullard 44), Murphy, Chopra (Emmanuel-Thomas 72), Scotland (Ellington 84). Subs not used: Wright, Wabara. Booked: Sonko, Martin

Att: 27, 091 (1,004 away).

    Latest Match Reports