Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 10 Mar 12 at 14:18 PM


Town came from behind to earn a 2-2 draw with Hull at the KC Stadium, with both goals scored by Grant Leadbitter.

A goal either side of half-time from Robbie Brady and Robert Koren had put the Tigers in front, before Leadbitter responded with two goals in three minutes, the former being from the penalty spot, to earn Town a share of the spoils.

Paul Jewell made one change to the side that drew with Southampton in midweek, with Jason Scotland replacing Lee Martin who dropped to the bench.

The game took a while to gather pace and it wasn't until the eighth minute before the first chance arrived, with Cameron Stewart firing high over Alex McCarthy's bar from distance.

The Reading loanee then did well to hold onto a Brady shot that was arrowing towards the bottom corner four minutes later.

Brady, who is on loan at the KC Stadium from Manchester United, was looking lively and soon broke the deadlock for the hosts. The winger cut inside from the right before hitting a shot that deflected off Tommy Smith, beyond McCarthy and into the net after 18 minutes.

Town looked to make an immediate response to going a goal behind and Leadbitter flashed a volley wide of the goal on the 20 minute mark, from fully 30 yards out.

A couple of minutes later and Hull 'keeper Vito Mannone was forced into his first save of the afternoon, getting down low to keep out a Jay Emmanuel-Thomas strike after Scotland had done well to lay the ball off into his path.

The hosts did go close to doubling their lead though 11 minutes before the break, with top scorer Matty Fryatt trying his luck from range only to see his half-volley flash just wide of the target.

That was to be the last meaningful action of the half and referee Roger East blew whistle to see Town go in a goal behind at the break.

Town made a bright start to the second half and Aaron Cresswell sent over a teasing cross 30 seconds after the restart that just evaded the boot of Emmanuel-Thomas, before Scotland saw his hooked effort towards goal deflected behind for a corner after Mannone had failed to gather the ball.

Michael Chopra then went close to equalising for Town two minutes after the break, but his left-footed volley deflected wide after Cresswell had pumped a dangerous ball into the Hull penalty area.

But despite the bright start, Town were soon undone by a second goal. Koren picked up the ball in midfield and turned away from Smith, before firing in a shot that crept beyond the reach of McCarthy and into the far corner after 54 minutes.

Paul Jewell responded to the goal by making a double change, with Martin and Lee Bowyer replacing Murphy and Andy Drury.

That seemed to bring a new spark into Town's attacking play and Blues were awarded a penalty after Tommy Smith was bundled over in the box by Jack Hobbs.

Midfielder Leadbitter stepped up and coolly converted into the bottom corner to halve the deficit with 67 minutes played.

Things were soon to get even better for Town- and Leadbitter- as the midfielder levelled up the scores three minutes later.Good work from Scotland saw him hold off a defender before laying the ball off to Leadbitter, who fired in a shot from the edge of the area that flew past Mannone and into the back of the net.

Town were in the hunt for more goals and Scotland almost broke clear of Hobbs with 15 minutes remaining, before the defender managed to get a vital block in, with Emmanuel-Thomas firing the loose ball just wide of the goal.

Two minutes later and the hosts had a chance to retake the lead, with the ball dropping to Paul McKenna on the edge of the area but the midfielder miscued his shot well wide of the target.

Town had a great chance to take the lead with five minutes remaining after catching out Hull with an impressive counter-attack.

Emmanuel-Thomas broke through the middle before playing in Chopra with a superb pass, but the striker took too long on the ball and Hobbs was able to recover and make an important tackle.

But the hosts also came close to snatching a winner in injury time, as substitute Joshua King saw an effort creep just past the post with McCarthy scrambling across his line.

That was the way it stayed and Town left the KC Stadium with a deserved share of the spoils.

Hull: Mannone, Rosenior, Chester, Hobbs, Dawson, Koren, McKenna, Evans, Brady (Mclean 46), Stewart (King 82), Fryatt. Subs not used: Gulacsi, Dudgeon, Cullen.

Booked: McKenna, Dawson

Town: McCarthy, Edwards, Smith, Delaney, Cresswell, Drury (Martin 61), Leadbitter (Stevenson 81), Emmanuel-Thomas, Murphy (Bowyer 61), Scotland, Chopra. Subs not used: Lee-Barrett, Sonko.

Booked: Delaney

Att: 17, 625

    Latest Match Reports