Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 17 Mar 12 at 14:20 PM


Town claimed all three points in an entertaining game at Portman Road, beating Peterborough 3-2 thanks to Aaron Cresswell's late strike.

Grant Leadbitter fired Blues in front after 15 minutes, before Tyrone Barnett ensured the scores were level at half-time.

Daryl Murphy then headed Town in front with 14 minutes remaining, before Emile Sinclair again levelled the scores, only for Cresswell to strike the winner late on.

Paul Jewell made one change to the side that drew with Hull in the last outing, with Lee Martin replacing Jason Scotland who dropped to the bench.

The game started at a lively pace and Town could have gone in front as early as the second minute, but Michael Chopra headed straight at Paul Jones from eight yards out after being picked out by Andy Drury's centre.

Seconds later and the visitors counter-attacked through George Boyd down the left, who crossed along the six-yard box but striker Barnett steered his shot just wide of Alex McCarthy's near post.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas then found himself in space after five minutes and cut inside his marker before unleashing a long range effort that Jones did well to smother.

Boyd was looking a major threat for Peterborough and he was unlucky to see a left-footed effort sail just wide of the post after finding space on the edge of the box with ten minutes on the clock.

The visitors were looking to attack on every possible occasion and Tommy Rowe should have headed Posh in front after 12 minutes, but he failed to convert with Paul Taylor's cross when unmarked four yards from goal.

The game was a real end-to-end affair and some good persistent work from the recalled Martin saw him slide the ball into the path of Emmanuel-Thomas, who was denied by a superb save from Jones, who pushed his shot behind for a corner after 14 minutes.

But from the resulting corner Town did take the lead, after Posh failed to clear their lines. Damien Delaney won a header in the area and Leadbitter ran onto the ball to volley into the corner after 15 minutes, for his third goal in his last two appearances.

Town came close to doubling the lead after 25 minutes, following a good run from skipper Carlos Edwards, but as the right-back laid the ball off to Martin Posh defender Gabriel Zakuani slid in and made an excellent challenge.

But despite the Town pressure, Peterborough did find an equaliser 11 minutes before the break. A defence-splitting pass from Boyd enabled Barnett to race clear of the defence and, although his shot was saved by McCarthy, the ball rebounded off the striker's knee and into the net.

The visitors were now brimming with confidence and McCarthy made two excellent saves to keep the scores level.

First the Reading loanee kept out a Taylor drive after 36 minutes, before then denying Lee Frecklington with a smart save a minute later.

Town could have retaken the lead a minute before half-time, after Martin crossed for Murphy who in turn nodded the ball across goal for Chopra, but the striker headed just wide from inside the six-yard box.

Posh had a great chance to go in front of their own, Barnett heading over when he should have hit the target, before the referee blew for half-time seconds later.

The visitors fashioned the first chance of the second-half, with Lee Tomlin finding Boyd in space on the left-hand side but the wingers drive was well tipped around the post by McCarthy after 49 minutes.

Town's best chance of the half fell to Chopra after 67 minutes, but the striker fired over from 12 yards after being picked out by a neat Edwards cross.

Blues' top scorer was again denied soon after, with the striker seeing his shot come back off the crossbar on 73 minutes after reacting quickest to Martin's ball into the box.

But Town were beginning to take control of the game and it wasn't long until Blues retook the lead. Delaney nodded goalwards from a corner and Murphy was on hand to head from close range to put Town back in front with 14 minutes remaining.

However the drama didn't end there and Peterborough drew level with seven minutes remaining thanks to substitute Sinclair. Boyd played a ball over the top to Sinclair, who outmuscled Delaney to slot into the corner.

Yet incredibly two minutes later the game took another twist as Town retook the lead with five minutes remaining.

The ball was worked over to Cresswell on the left-hand side and the left-back tried his luck from distance, with the ball taking a deflection before nestling into the top corner for the 22-year olds first goal for the Club.

Town were still looking to add to the tally and substitute Jason Scotland was unfortunate not to score a fourth goal, as Jones made a great save to push away his drive with a minute remaining.

Peterborough threw everything at Town in the closing stages as they searched for an equaliser, but it never came as Blues held firm to claim a well earned three points.

Town are again in action on Wednesday, taking on Burnley at Portman Road (kick-off 7.45pm).

Town: McCarthy, Edwards, Smith, Delaney, Cresswell, Emmanuel-Thomas (Bowyer 65), Drury (Stevenson 70), Leadbitter, Martin, Murphy, Chopra (Scotland 85). Subs not used: Lee-Barrett, Sonko.

Peterborough: Jones, Alcock, Brisley, Zakuani, Rowe, McCann (Little 77), Frecklington (Sinclair 77), Boyd, Barnett, Taylor, Tomlin (Kearns 66). Subs not used: Lewis, Ball.

Booked: Frecklington

Att: 17, 927 (831 visiting fans)

    Latest Match Reports