Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 19 Sep 11 at 19:24 PM


Town got back to winning ways after beating Coventry 3-0 at Portman Road in front of the Sky cameras.

An own goal from Martin Cranie was followed by strikes from Keith Andrews and Jason Scotland to give Town a third win of the season.

Blues made just the one change to the team that last 2-0 to Blackpool in the last game, with Jason Scotland replacing Daryl Murphy who dropped to the bench.

It took just three minutes of the game for Town to register the first attempt at goal , with left-back Aaron Cresswell trying a shot from distance that went wide.

Six minutes in and Town did take the lead through a Cranie own goal, as the defender headed a Cresswell centre past 'keeper Joe Murphy and into his own net.

Town were controlling the pace of the game and should really have doubled their lead after 11 minutes. A cross to the back-post from Carlos Edwards was headed back across goal by Andrews but Michael Chopra sliced his shot wide from six yards.

The striker almost made amends for the miss two minutes later though, after a good passing move saw skipper Grant Leadbitter play in the striker, but Chopra's first time effort sailed wide of Murphy's right-hand post.

Town's constant pressure on the Coventry goal was rewarded after 15 minutes, as Andrews doubled the lead with a superb finish that went in off the underside of the crossbar after being slipped in by Chopra.

Chopra wasn't letting his earlier missed chances affect him and almost made it 3-0 to Town after he glanced a header inches past the post after another teasing cross from Cresswell.

It wasn't until the 23rd minute that the Sky Blues created their first real goalscoring chance, however a timely block from Ibrahima Sonko prevented Cody McDonald getting his shot in.

Jimmy Bullard almost scored a trademark free-kick on the half hour mark but his curling effort was just the wrong side of the post with Murphy well beaten.

The midfielder then turned provider as his cross was met by the head of Andrews but his strong header went just over the bar.

The visitors almost pulled a goal back in first-half stoppage time though, as a McDonald header seemed destined for the corner with David Stockdale beaten but Cresswell was in the right place at the right time to head clear and ensure Town went in with a 2-0 lead at the break.

The second-half started at a similar pace to the first with Town in control and Scotland was quick to test Murphy with a low drive that the 'keeper did well to hold on to.

Six minutes after the restart and Lee Bowyer almost opened his account for the season after being played in by Leadbitter but the experienced midfielder's shot was blocked by Cyrus Christie on the edge of the six yard box.

The visitors did spurn a golden chance of their own after 53 minutes when former Norwich striker McDonald headed over from inside the six yard box after meeting Clingan's inswinging free-kick.

Andrews was looking to add to his earlier strike and went close with a free-kick after 58 minutes that flashed just wide of the bottom corner.

The Sky Blues were coming more and more into the game however and McDonald missed another gilt-edge chance just after the hour mark as he headed wide after a Gary McSheffrey knockdown.

Town made it 3-0 after 66 minutes after good link up play between the strike pairing of Chopra and Scotland saw the latter played through on goal before coolly finishing past Murphy into the bottom corner.

Cresswell tried to get his name on the scoresheet by trying his luck from distance with a long range free-kick that Murphy did well to tip round the post.

Town were dominating the game and almost made it four with three minutes remaining. Midfielder Andrews found himself with space 30 yards out and tried his luck with a rasping drive that Murphy did well to push round the post.

The visitors were still pushing for a consolation though and thought they had scored in the 88th minute after Jutkiewicz headed goalwards but that man Cresswell was on the line again to head clear and see Town take the three points.

However the game did end on a sour note after Coventry's Carl Baker was carried off on a stretcher in stoppage time after a bad injury.

The win sees Town move up to 13th in the table ahead of Saturday's trip to Middlesbrough, kick-off 3pm.

Town: Stockdale, Edwards, Sonko (Delaney 35), Collins, Cresswell, Leadbitter, Andrews, Bullard, Bowyer, Scotland (Emmanuel-Thomas 86), Chopra (Murphy 82). Subs not used: Lee-Barrett, Ainsley.

Coventry: Murphy, Christie (Cameron 75), Cranie, Keogh, Hussey, Clingan, Bell, Baker, Bigirimana (McSheffrey 43), Jutkiewicz, McDonald (O'Donovan 69). Subs not used: Dunn, Thomas. Booked: Bell

Att: 15,650

    Latest Match Reports