Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

12 August 2017 Venue Oakwell Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - Championship

Advertisement block

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports


12 August 2017

Goals from McGoldrick and Waghorn win it for Town

Town came from behind to maintain the winning start to the season thanks to goals from David McGoldrick and a first for the Club from Marytn Waghorn.

The Tykes led at the break from Tom Bradshaw’s early header and it needed a goalline clearance from Joe Garner and two excellent saves from Bart Bialkowski to keep Blues in touch at half-time.

McGoldrick and Waghorn were thrown on at the break as Mick McCarthy changed things up and got an instant reward with McGoldrick’s crisp volley.

Waghorn then won it for Blues with a terrific finish 20 minutes from time to make it three wins from three.

Flynn Downes and Tristan Nydam kept their places in midfield following their impressive showing in the Carabao Cup win over Luton in midweek, with Town retuning to the front two of Garner and Freddie Sears that started the season opener against Birmingham.

Sears was close to getting in on goal inside the first two minutes, Angus MacDonald at full stretch to make the clearance but seconds later, from a Barnsley breakaway, Bradshaw couldn’t get enough on his header to beat Bialkowski after the Town ‘keeper had initially denied George Moncur.

Bialkowski saved again from Bradshaw with a strong left hand, then Dominic Iorfa cleared from Ryan Hedges as the Tykes threatened again.

Garner’s header was blocked after good work from Sears as Town responded, while at the other end Jonas Knudsen averted the danger from Brad Potts’ cross.

Adam Jackson failed to get the right connection on the resultant corner, then Myles Kenlock whipped in a cross from the left that beat everyone in a bright start to the game.

It was Barnsley who broke the deadlock just past the quarter hour, an overhead kick from
Matty Pearson fell kindly for Bradshaw at the far post and he found the net with a header.
It then needed a goalline clearance from Garner to keep the deficit to one, the striker in the right place to deny Moncur.

Adam Davies in the Barnsley goal held firm from Iorfa’s cross, the loan signing from Wolves providing a real threat for Town down the right.

It was Iorfa again who got in behind the Tykes’ defence, Sears denied this time at the near post as Blues searched for an equaliser.

Downes’ shot was hacked clear, Nydam’s cross getting the same treatment as Blues enjoyed a spell of pressure on the home goal, Sears crowded out inside the Barnsley box as he looked to get in on Iorfa’s cross.

Alex Hammill then won a free-kick on the edge of the box after he was fouled by Kenlock. It came to nothing but it needed an excellent double save from Bialkowski to prevent the Tykes extending their lead on the stroke of half-time,  Moncur denied in a one on one, then Hedges’ follow up shot beaten out.

Town made a double change at half-time, with Waghorn and McGoldrick entering the fray, Nydam and Kenlock making way.

Waghorn immediately threatened, getting on the end of Iorfa’s cross but his first time finish was deflected behind, then a bit of magic from McGoldrick took him past two defenders before Davies rescued his side with a smart save.  

McGoldrick wouldn’t be denied though and on 53 minutes he volleyed Town level from Knudsen’s cross.

Barnsley made a first change with Ike Ugbo on for goalscorer Bradshaw before the hour, Town’s injury concerns then bizarrely illustrated with Downes and Cole Skuse both going down with ankle injuries at opposite sides of the pitch - Skuse losing out in being treated by physio Matt Byard but both continued.    

McGoldrick was high and wide with a free-kick from 25 yards, Bialkowski tested at the other end from Potts’ low drive.

Town surged in front on 69 minutes with Waghorn showing a great first touch and an even better second to bury his shot in the corner of the net right in front of the travelling Blue Army.

Adam McDonnell replaced the injured Downes for the last 15 minutes, Stefan Payne on for Hedges in Barnsley’s second change, shortly followed by Harvey Barnes for Hammill.  

als Luke Chambers blocked Ugbo’s strike, the skipper twice more in quick succession to prevent Potts getting in, then Bialkowski was at full stretch to tip away Barnes’ curler as Town held on for the three points to keep up the perfect start to the season.  

Barnsley: Davies, McCarthy, Williams, MacDonald, Hammill (Barnes 76), Moncur, Jackson, Pearson, Potts, Hedges (Payne 75), Bradshaw (Ugbo 57). Subs not used: Townsend, Pinnock, Mowatt, Bird. Booked: Jackson.

Town : Bialkowski, Spence, Chambers, Knudsen, Iorfa, Skuse, Downes (McDonnell 75), Nydam (Waghorn 46), Kenlock (McGoldrick 46) Sears, Garner. Subs not used: Gerken, Celina, Rowe, Woolfenden. Booked: Iorfa.
Att: 12,009







Advertisement block

Advertisement block