Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
22 September 2018 Venue Portman Road Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - Championship

Advertisement block

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports


22 September 2018

Town left frustrated and injury worries over Walters

Ben Alnwick’s brilliant save from Luke Chambers' header late on denied Town the win at Portman Road.

The ‘keeper stuck out his left hand to divert the ball to safety following a free-kick as the 10 men of Wanderers held on for the point after Marc Wilson was sent-off in the first-half.

Town also finished the game with 10 men with Jon Walters worryingly forced off with what looked like a calf injury.   

Toto Nsiala returned to the side after suspension, Janoi Donacien making way in one of three changes to the side that started against Brentford in midweek.

Alnwick was quickly off his line to smother the danger from Kayden Jackson, Jon Nolan was just short with a pass to release Gwion Edwards after good link up play in the middle of the park, then Edwards skipped past Jonathan Grounds but ran out of space in a bright start for Blues.

Nsiala cleared from Grounds’ dangerous cross, Jackson had a shot blocked, Matthew Pennington’s header then set up Edwards whose delivery was arrowed in at Jackson, Jack Hobbs clearing.

Chambers did well on three separate occasions to beat off the threat from Josh Magennis inside the Town box as the first half hour passed with neither ‘keeper really tested.

Alnwick held firm from Edwards’ free-kick after Grant Ward had been brought down outside the box then on 34 minutes, Bolton were reduced to 10 men when Wilson was judged to have hauled down Kayden Jackson as he burst clear on goal.

Ward’s free-kick from the edge of the box was deflected wide, Bolton sacrificing
Erhun Oztumer to take their defensive numbers up to four again with the experienced David Wheater coming off the bench.

Will Buckley saw a shot cannon back off Pennington, Jackson dragged a shot wide of the far post after Nolan had pulled the strings in a neat move in midfield, then Ward couldn’t find the space to get his shot on target.

Tayo Edun replaced Trevoh Chalobah at half-time in Town’s first change, Nolan’s radar was off with a speculative effort from 30 yards, Jonas Knudsen then forcing a corner with a right foot strike.

Cole Skuse exchanged passes with Edun and then burst into the box but Hobbs cut out the danger, Nolan wide with a 20 yarder as Town pressed for the breakthrough. The midfielder then turning provider with a cross that Nsiala headed over.

Alnwick held on to Ward’s driven cross before Town made a double change with Ward and Skuse making way for Jon Walters and Jordan Graham.

Nsiala’s flick was enough to take the ball away from Magennis, Buckley’s cross from six yards out beating everyone, then Town were reduced to 10 men when Walters was forced off with an injury.

A brilliant block by Chambers denied Hobbs from close range as Bolton had their best chance to break the deadlock, then at the other end Alnwick produced a brilliant save to keep out Chambers' header from a Graham free-kick to frustrate
Town further and earn his side a point as Blues made it five draws from five at home this season.

Town: Gerken, Pennington, Chambers, Nsiala, Knudsen, Edwards, Skuse (Walters 71), Nolan, Chalobah (Edun 46), Ward (Graham 71), Jackson. Subs not used: Bialkowski, Harrison, Spence, Downes. Booked: Chalobah, Edun.

Bolton: Alnwick, Lowe, Oztumer (Wheater 34), Buckley (Wildschut 86), Noone (Donaldson 90), Hobbs, Olkowski, Wilson, Wiliams, Magennis, Grounds. Subs not used: Matthews, Vela, Doidge, O’Neil.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block