Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 25/08/2012

25 August 2012

Town recorded a first loss of the campaign after going down 6-0 to Blackpool at Bloomfield Road.

An own goal from Aaron Cresswell and a Gary Taylor-Fletcher strike saw the hosts two goals ahead at the break, before a double from Tom Ince, a Craig Cathcart header and a late Nouha Dicko strike completed the win for the Seasiders.

Paul Jewell made one change to the side that beat Watford in the week, with Andy Drury replacing Josh Carson in midfield as the teenager dropped to the bench.

Town made an encouraging start to the game and almost took the lead as early as the fourth minute. A neat passing move involving Luke Hyam and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas saw the winger break clear of the defence, to slide the ball across the face of goal towards Michael Chopra who was just beaten to the ball by a defender.

The narrow Bloomfield Road pitch did restrict chances but a goal did arrive after 13 minutes. A Tommy Smith header was collected by Gary Taylor-Fletcher who crossed beyond Scott Loach and the ball was diverted into his own net by Town’s Aaron Cresswell to hand Blackpool the lead.

Six minutes later and Matt Gilks in the Blackpool goal had to be alert to keep out a low Lee Martin effort, following a good driving run from the midfielder.

The hosts were looking a threat every time they attacked though and a neat one-two between Kevin Phillips and Angel Martinez saw the former Sunderland striker in on goal, but he fired over Loach’s bar just before the half hour mark.

Ten minutes later and another flowing Blackpool move saw Tom Ince skip past a couple of Town challenges before seeing his curling effort fly wide.

Blues were looking for a way back into the game and an equaliser almost came through Emmanuel-Thomas’ volley after 42 minutes, but a sprawling Gilks in the Blackpool goal tipped the ball around the post.

As the clock ticked into the last minute of the first-half, Town were dealt a blow as the hosts doubled their lead. A cross from the left by Ince evaded everyone in the box apart from Taylor-Fletcher, who confidently fired past Loach and into the roof of the net.

The second-half didn’t start any better for Town either, as the hosts extended their lead four minutes after the restart. A counter attacking move saw Ince twist and turn his way past Smith before curling an effort beyond Loach and into the far corner.

The former Liverpool man then had a chance to score again a minute later, but scuffed his shot into the arms of Loach. But the winger was soon on the scoresheet again, scoring his second and Blackpool’s fourth after 58 minutes. Ince cut inside before hammering a shot into the top corner of the net from fully 25 yards.

Loach made a superb save from Ince a minute later, after the midfielder had broke clear after a defence-splitting ball.

The hosts were now in complete control and defender Craig Cathcart made it 5-0 just after the hour mark, as he rose highest in the penalty area to plant a header into the far corner.

Town failed to threaten the goal in the second-half, although the hosts went close to adding their lead late on and Blues had to be thankful to some good defending from Smith and the post keeping out a Cathcart header.

And the hosts added a sixth goal in injury time through substitute Dicko, who tapped home Ince’s lofted chip.

That was the way it stayed as Town suffered a disappointing first defeat of the season. Blues will be hoping to make amends against Carlisle on Tuesday night, in the second round of the Capital One Cup.





Advertisement block