Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 08/12/2012

8 December 2012

Town recorded a third successive victory after beating Millwall 3-0 at Portman Road.

Blues turned in a superb display with DJ Campbell netting either side of a Daryl Murphy strike to ensure Town took home all three points.

Mick McCarthy made one change to the side that beat Bolton last weekend, with Daryl Murphy replacing Tyrone Barnett in attack who dropped to the bench.

Blues started the game at an encouraging pace and Murphy was unlucky with an early header that looped just over the bar, after meeting a Lee Martin centre after seven minutes.

Two minutes later and Tommy Smith went close to opening the scoring for Town, also heading over after being picked out by Aaron Cresswell’s out-swinging free-kick.

The game had developed into a real end-to-end affair and some great last ditch defending saw Smith head away an Adam Smith cross, with Andy Keogh waiting to pounce.

A neat passing move from Town saw Campbell lay the ball off to Martin, who released Murphy down the left and the Celtic loanee was denied by a great save from David Forde to ensure the game remained goalless after 15 minutes.

The visitors replied immediately on the counter though and Keogh’s header was superbly turned away by Henderson to keep Blues on level terms.

The Lions then should have broken the deadlock three minutes later as Smith crossed to the back-post, with Chris Wood heading over from five yards with the goal at his mercy.


Just after the half-hour mark and Henderson proved his credentials with a stunning double save to deny Millwall. First the on-loan stopper palmed away a Liam Trotter volley before then making a great reaction save to tip away James Henry’s low drive that looked destined for the bottom corner.

But the deadlock was soon to be broken, as Town scored a goal of real quality. Martin played in the overlapping Cresswell down the left, who crossed along the face of goal for Campbell to side-foot home after 37 minutes.

Blues started the second-half brightly too and it took just four minutes after the restart to double the advantage.

Good work from Campbell down the right saw him pick out Murphy in the penalty area and the striker fired the ball into the roof of the net to score Town’s second of the afternoon.

Blues were looking to extend the lead and Forde had to be alert in the Millwall goal to tip away a Martin free-kick that was curling towards the top corner.

Campbell was causing the Millwall defence all kinds of problems and he went close with a volley just after the hour mark, flashing his effort wide following good work on the left from Murphy and Martin.

But the striker was soon to add to his tally as he scored his second and Town’s third after 64 minutes.

Great work down the right from Murphy saw him check back in the box, where the ball was then handled by Shane Lowry as Blues were awarded a spot-kick.

Campbell stepped up and buried the ball beyond Forde and into the bottom corner.

To their credit, Kenny Jackett’s side were looking for a way back into the game and Henry went close with a dipping free-kick after 72 minutes but his effort flew over the bar.

Martin then tested Forde with 11 minutes remaining, aiming an arrowed drive towards the bottom corner that the Millwall ‘keeper was equal to.

With the game nearing its conclusion, Mick McCarthy introduced Elliott Hewitt as a late substitute with the teenager making his Town debut.

Town almost added a fourth in injury time, as Martin lobbed Forde, but Danny Shittu got back just in the nick of time to clear off the line.

That was the way it stayed as Town recorded an excellent victory to take home the three points.

Advertisement block