Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 29/12/2012

29 December 2012

Mick McCarthy enjoyed a happy return to Molineux as Town beat Wolves 2-0 thanks to strikes from Aaron Cresswell and DJ Campbell as Blues ended 2012 in style.

Left-back Cresswell opened the scoring with a curling right-footed finish in the first-half, before Campbell wrapped up the points midway through the second-half with a cool finish into the corner.

Mick named an unchanged side following Blues’ 2-1 Boxing Day win over Charlton at the Valley three days ago, with the bench also including the same personnel.

Town were the brighter of the two sides from the off, with good interplay from DJ Campbell and Daryl Murphy seeing the latter eventually lay the ball into the path of Lee Martin, but the midfielder curled his effort just inches wide of Carl Ikeme’s left-hand post after just three minutes.

Seven minutes later and Martin went close again for Town, this time cutting in from the left before hitting a rasping drive towards goal that Ikeme gathered at the second attempt.

The hosts fashioned their first real attempt on goal after 23 minutes, with David Davis working the ball out to Bakary Sako, but the winger could only drag his shot wide of Henderson’s post.

But Blues were looking the more likely to break the deadlock and that’s exactly what Town did after 33 minutes.

Patient build up play saw Guirane N’Daw lay the ball into the feet of Campbell, who cushioned the ball for the surging Cresswell who expertly slotted past Ikeme with his weaker right foot to open the scoring.

Town continued to attack the Wolves defence, although no further clear-cut chances were fashioned as Blues went in a goal to the good at the break.

Mick’s side started the second half well too, with Luke Chambers slicing his effort wide from close range following a Town corner.

Just before the hour mark and Town had a great chance to double the advantage. A well worked moved saw Cresswell fire in a centre across the face of goal that Murphy was just unable to connect with.

Martin then tested Ikeme with a long-range sighter, which curled into the body of the Wolves stopper after 63 minutes.

But Town’s dominance was soon to be rewarded as Blues doubled the lead after 65 minutes. A long punt forward was latched onto by Campbell, who raced clear of the defence and coolly slotted past Ikeme and into the bottom corner.

Wolves boss Stale Solbakken responded to Town’s second goal by making all three of his substitutes in one hit, much to the unrest of the Wolves faithful.

The hosts were rarely threatening Henderson’s goal, although an inviting ball from Jermaine Pennant almost found Roger Johnson at the back-post but the defender failed to make any connection.

Town were looking dangerous with every attack and Campbell was clearly in the mood for more goals, curling an effort into the palms of Ikeme after initial good work from Carlos Edwards.

Blues had a chance to extend the lead further in stoppage time, as substitutes Nigel Reo-Coker and Michael Chopra combined, but the striker curled his effort wide.

That was the way it stayed, however, as Blues recorded a second successive away win to finish 2012 in style.

Advertisement block