Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 10/11/2012

10 November 2012

Town left it late to record a first home win of the season, beating Burnley 2-1 at Portman Road.

DJ Campbell struck with just four minutes remaining to earn Town all three points, after Daryl Murphy’s opener had been cancelled out by Sam Vokes.

Mick McCarthy made two changes to the side that lost to Palace, with Guirane N’Daw replacing Andy Drury and Tommy Smith coming in for the suspended Lee Martin.

Summer signing Elliott Hewitt was named as a substitute for the first time after recovering from his hip injury.

The game started at a bright pace with both sides having early chances. Charlie Austin dragged a shot wide of Stephen Henderson’s goal after just four minutes, before Town went close first through DJ Campbell who tested Burnley ‘keeper Lee Grant before Richie Wellens then fired the rebound over.

Martin Paterson, who was playing in a left wing role, then worked Henderson into a save at his near post, after being played in well by Austin after 12 minutes.

Shortly before the half-hour mark, a surging run from Wellens saw him break through the Burnley defence before cutting the ball back to Campbell, who saw his volley expertly tipped around the post by Grant to ensure the game stayed goalless.

Ross Wallace then fired wide for the visitors late on in the half before the referee blew his whistle to signal for half-time.

Town boss Mick McCarthy sent his players out early for the second-half and they provided an immediate response as Blues took the lead five minutes after the break.

A Wellens cross into the Burnley area looped high up into the air and Murphy was on hand to beat Clarets stopper Grant to the ball and nod home from close range.

The goal really lifted the atmosphere at Portman Road and Campbell was unfortunate to see a drive from range blocked by Michael Duff.

At the other end, Chris McCann tried his luck from distance under pressure from Luke Chambers but his shot was always rising over the top.

Midway through the second-half and Town almost doubled their lead. Carlos Edwards set off on a mazy run, leaving three Burnley defenders in his wake but the Blues skipper couldn’t quite lay the ball into the path of Campbell.

However against the run of play the visitors did equalise 11 minutes from time. A cross from the left by Junior Stanislas was met by the head of Sam Vokes whose header flew into the net via the underside of the crossbar.

But the drama wasn’t finished there as Blues were to take the lead once again. Emmanuel-Thomas fed Edwards down the right and the skipper delivered a superb cross to the back post where Campbell was on hand to steer the ball beyond Grant and into the bottom corner.

After a nervy five minutes of added on time, Blues weathered the late Burnley storm to record a first home win of the season, in Mick’s first game in charge at Portman Road.

Advertisement block