Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


24 November 2012

DJ Campbell was on the spot to secure a point for Town after cancelling out Lee Tomlin's opener

A second-half penalty from DJ Campbell earned Blues a share of the spoils, as Town drew 1-1 with Peterborough at Portman Road.

Lee Tomlin had fired the Posh into an early lead before Campbell struck just before the hour mark to ensure Town took a point from the game.

Mick McCarthy made two changes to the side that were comfortably beaten by Leicester last time out, with Tommy Smith and Michael Chopra both starting in place of Luke Chambers and Daryl Murphy who dropped to the bench.

But Blues didn’t make the start they would have wanted, as the visitors took an early lead through Tomlin after nine minutes.

A mix-up between Smith and Danny Higginbotham allowed the striker enough time to spin away from his marker before sliding the ball through the legs of Stephen Henderson and into the back of the net.

Blues did test Peterborough ‘keeper Bobby Olejnik shortly after though, with Carlos Edwards’ deep cross being met by the head of Higginbotham but the Posh stopper was equal to it, although the linesman had raised his flag to signal that Higginbotham was offside.

Town were trying to play some football though and a neat turn from Carlos Edwards saw him show Joe Newell a clean pair of heels, but the skipper’s cross was eventually cleared by a Posh defender before it reached Lee Martin on the half-hour mark.

Henderson was tested shortly before half-time, with Saido Berahino spinning on the edge of the area before firing in a shot that Town’s loanee stopper got easily to.

Blues started the second-half much more positively and a spell of ‘pinball’ in the Posh penalty area almost fell to an equaliser, but Higginbotham’s drive was blocked behind for a corner five minutes after the restart.

A minute later and Joe Newell was unfortunate to see a long range effort flash wide of Henderson’s post.

But Town were soon on level terms as Campbell scored from the spot after 59 minutes.

Lee Martin was tripped in the area and Campbell stepped up to fire the spot-kick into the bottom corner and make it 1-1.

Blues were indebted to ‘keeper Henderson three minutes later though, as the stopper was alert enough to deny Tomlin a second of the afternoon, saving well with his legs.

Town almost grabbed a second goal after 66 minutes, with good work down the right from Bradley Orr seeing him slam the ball across the face of goal but a sliding Campbell was inches away from connecting at the back post and the ball drifted wide.

Mark Little then went close for the visitors after 69 minutes, cutting inside and curling an effort towards the top corner that sailed jut over the top.

Olejnik then pulled off a superb reaction save with 14 minutes remaining to deny Martin, who had acrobatically turned the ball goalwards.

With seven minutes remaining, Smith misjudged the flight of the ball to allow Dwight Gayle in for Posh, but the striker could only fire over Henderson’s bar when though on goal.

Town thought they had won it with four minutes remaining, as Orr picked out Higginbotham at the back post, but the defender’s looping header was clawed over the bar by Olejnik to ensure the score stayed level.

Henderson then had to make a late save from Grant McCann, before the referee blew for full-time with the game ending in a draw although both sides will feel they had the chances to take all three points.

Town: Henderson, Orr, Smith, Higginbotham, Cresswell, Edwards, N’Daw, Reo-Coker, Martin, Chopra (Emmnauel-Thomas 62), Campbell (Murphy 75). Subs not used: Loach, Chambers, Hewitt, Mohsni, Hyam.

Booked: N’daw

Peterborough: Olejnik, Little, Brisley, Knight-Percival, Bostwick, Newell, Thorne, McCann, Boyd, Berahino (Gayle 51), Tomlin. Subs not used: Day, Alcock, Zakuani, Swanson, Ferdinand, Clarke-Harris.

Att: 16, 427 (519 visiting fans)









Advertisement block