Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 23/10/2012

23 October 2012

A last minute goal from Nathan Tyson saw Town slip to a 2-1 home defeat to Derby, despite taking a first-half lead.

DJ Campbell had fired Blues into the lead, before Theo Robinson levelled the score just before half-time.

It then looked as if the game was heading for a draw, before Tyson pounced in the final minute to win it for the Rams.

Paul Jewell made one change to the side that lost to Hull at the weekend, with Andy Drury replacing Daryl Murphy in midfield.

Town made a bright start to the game and Lee Martin forced a fine save out of Derby stopper Adam Legzdins with just 50 seconds on the clock, diving low to push Martin’s shot away with Drury just unable to bundle home the rebound.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was next to test Legzdins, seeing his drive kept out by the ‘keeper with DJ Campbell firing the rebound over from close range under pressure from Richard Keogh, with nine minutes played.

Michael Jacobs, who joined the Rams from Northampton in the summer, registered Derby’s first shot on goal after 16 minutes but his curling free-kick flashed wide of Stephen Henderson’s post.

Town then managed to break the deadlock in the 23rd minute. A neat passing move saw the ball worked to Campbell, who managed to beat the offside trap and slide home from close range, although the ball appeared to come off Rams defender James O’Connor before crossing the line.

Just before the half-hour mark, Emmanuel-Thomas wriggled along the by-line, leaving a couple of Derby defenders in his wake, before seeing his shot saved by Legzdins at the near post.

Four minutes later and Martin was unfortunate to see a long range effort fly into the side-netting, with Legzdins scrambling across his line.

But the visitors were soon back on level terms as Town conceded five minutes before the break. A Danny Higginbotham sliced clearance fell to Connor Sammon whose shot wasn’t held by Henderson, allowing Robinson to convert from close range to ensure the sides went in level at the break.

Seven minutes after the restart and Legzdins was again called into action, tipping behind Cresswell’s swerving shot from 25 yards.

But Nigel Clough’s side were looking dangerous on the counter and Michael Jacobs was unlucky to see his drive from distance sail just wide of the post with Henderson beaten, just before the hour mark.

Martin then flashed a shot wide of the target, after cutting inside his marker, before Henderson made a brave save at the feet of Sammon at the other end.

With 16 minutes remaining, Emmanuel-Thomas tried his luck with a well hit free-kick that Legzdins had to be alert to; pushing the ball behind for a corner, whilst at the other end Coutts missed a good chance as he blazed over Henderson’s bar.

But as the game entered the final minute Town were undone as substitute Tyson slid in at the back-post to bundle the ball past Henderson and into the back of the net to win it for Derby.

The defeat sees Town still searching for a home win this season as Blues prepare to welcome Sheffield Wednesday to Portman Road on Saturday.



Advertisement block