Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 18/09/2012

18 September 2012

Town were beaten 2-0 by Wolves at Portman Road, as two second-half goals saw the Midlanders leave with all three points.

An own goal from Tommy Smith and a strike from distance from substitute Tongo Doumbia was enough for Stale Solbakken’s side as Blues failed to find a way back into the game.

Paul Jewell made one change to the side that lost 2-0 to Middlesbrough, with Massimo Luongo coming into the midfield in place of Andy Drury who dropped to the bench.

minute before the first meaningful attack on goal, with Lee Martin forcing Carl Ikeme into a low save to keep out his right-footed free-kick.ndThe game started slowly with both sides battling for possession and it wasn’t until the 32

But the game did liven up in the latter stages of the half, with Martin making a superb lung-busting run which started midway through the Wolves half, leaving three defenders in  his wake before eventually being denied by a brave save from Ikeme, who pushed the ball behind for a corner.

Two minutes later and Martin was again forcing Ikeme into a save. Neat football saw Paul Taylor and Michael Chopra combine, before the latter pulled the ball back for Martin to have a shot on goal which was kept out by the Wolves stopper.

Despite Town finishing the half the stronger, Scott Loach had to be alert in injury time to keep out an effort from Bakary Sako before the referee blew his whistle to signal half-time.

Town started the second-half the brighter and came agonisingly close to breaking the deadlock after 54 minutes. A free-kick was whipped into the Wolves penalty area and both Luke Chambers and Chopra challenged, with the latter helping the ball goalwards, only to see Tommy Smith inadvertently prevent the ball from crossing the line before Daryl Murphy then fired the rebound wide from close range.    

Meanwhile at the other end a surging run from Sako saw him skip away from Carlos Edwards and pull the ball back for Bjorn Sigurdarson but the striker fired well wide of the target.

Loach had to be alert on the hour mark to keep out a Kevin Doyle effort, diving low to push the ball to safety.

But the Town stopper was powerless to a Sigurdarson effort two minutes later, after the Icelandic international combined with strike partner Doyle before unleashing an effort than cannoned back off the inside of the post and away from danger.

And it wasn’t long until the visitors opened the scoring in bizarre fashion. A cross from the left-hand side evaded everyone in the box but the ball somehow bounced up off the deck onto Smith’s arm and into the net with Loach powerless to prevent the ball crossing the line.

The Town defender almost made amends eight minutes later, as he reacted to a Martin knock-down in the box but he failed to keep his strike down and the ball flew over the bar.

And Town were punished for that miss a minute later as substitute Doumbia was allowed enough space to find the bottom corner from range and double the visitors lead.

Blues continued to look for a way back into the game and Jason Scotland should have done better when he got on the end of a Chopra flick on, but the Trinidadian failed to keep his shot down and the ball flew over Ikeme’s bar.

That was the way it stayed as Wolves left Portman Road with the win. Town will hope to bounce-back on Saturday when Charlton arrive at Portman Road.


Advertisement block