Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


22 September 2012

Town suffer home defeat despite Scotland strike

Town suffered a consecutive home defeat, after going down 2-1 to Charlton at Portman Road.

A quick fire double from the Addicks just after half-time saw them make the breakthrough, thanks to strikes from Johnnie Jackson and Ricardo Fuller, before Jason Scotland pulled a goal back for Town.

Blues pushed for an equaliser but it failed to materialise and Chris Powell’s side left Suffolk with all three points.  

Paul Jewell recalled both Jason Scotland and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas to the starting line-up, for the injured duo Michael Chopra and Paul Taylor.

Danny Higginbotham, who has joined the Blues on a month’s loan from Stoke, was named amongst the substitutes.

Town started the game the brighter of the two sides and Lee Martin saw an early effort sting the palms of Charlton ‘keeper Ben Hamer after four minutes.

Three minutes later and the Addicks stopper was again called into action, holding on well to a Daryl Murphy header after he met Martin’s centre.

The visitors did go close to breaking the deadlock after 13 minutes though, as a neat passing move saw Danny Green move into the box but the winger fired into the side-netting.

And Scott Loach had to be alert to palm away a stinging drive from range from Charlton midfielder Dale Stephens.

That proved to be the final piece of goalmouth action of the half as the sides went in level pegging at the break.

Paul Jewell brought on Nathan Ellington at half-time in place of Emmanuel-Thomas, but Blues were soon a goal behind.

Martin was disposed in the middle of the park and after a Danny Green cross wasn’t dealt with at the back-post, it allowed Salim Kerkar to fire across the box for Johnnie Jackson to steer into the roof of the net from close range after 48 minutes.

Things got worse for Town two minutes later as the visitors doubled their lead. Massimo Luongo was brushed off the ball by Fuller who then drove away from Tommy’s Smith challenge before slotting the ball past Loach and into the bottom corner.

Town tried to find a way back into the game and Luongo was unfortunate to see an 25-yard drive whistle just past the post.

And Blues did pull a goal back after 56 minutes. A neat turn saw Scotland pull away from his marker before seeing his shot take a huge deflection off Michael Morrison which wrong-footed ‘keeper Hamer and the ball nestled over the line.

Town went close again midway through the second-half, with Ellington causing the Charlton defence problems with a run towards goal before seeing his effort charged down and deflected behind for a corner.

With five minutes remaining, Josh Carson saw an effort deflect over the bar before Ellington then headed just wide from the resulting corner.

The visitors did have a chance to wrap the game up though with four minutes remaining as Bradley Pritchard played in Hollands but Loach made a great save to deny the midfielder.

Town then came close to an equaliser with two minutes remaining, as Ellington tricked his way past a defender and into the box but the striker failed to keep his shot down.

That was the way it stayed as Town were defeated by the Addicks at Portman Road. Blues will now focus their attention to Saturday’s trip to Barnsley.

Town:  Loach, Edwards, Chambers, Smith (Higginbotham 90), Cresswell, Drury, Luongo, Martin, Emmanuel-Thomas (Ellington 46), Murphy (Carson 79), Scotland. Subs not used: Lee-Barrett, Ainsley, Hyam, N’Daw.

Booked: Emmanuel-Thomas, Martin

Charlton:Hamer, Wilson, Cort, Morrison, Solly, Kerkar (Pritchard 82), Johnson, Green, Stephens, Wright-Phillips (Dervite 90), Fuller (Haynes 90). Subs not used: Button, Evina, Wagstaff, Hollands.

Att: 16, 587





Advertisement block