Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


8 April 2013

Emmanuel-Thomas and Marriott strikes not enough as Charlton score twice in the last four minutes to take all three points


Two late goals from Joe Pigott saw Charlton come from behind to beat Town at Portman Road, in the latest U21 fixture.

Mark Kennedy’s side twice took the lead, first through Jay Emmanuel-Thomas before Harry Lennon levelled the scores, and then through strike partner Jack Marriott who fired Blues in front with six minutes remaining.

However the visitors hit back with Pigott netting twice in the final four minutes to win the game for the Addicks.

Blues made a bright start and Mark Timlin was unlucky to see an effort kept out by Addicks stopper David Button after cutting in from the right, two minutes into the game.

Arran Lee-Barrett was called into action for the first time after 16 minutes, getting down low to comfortably keep out Ade Azeez’s effort from just outside the area.

Charlton skipper Bradley Jordan then created himself some space in the area, before lashing his effort well wide of the target after 20 minutes.

The deadlock was finally broken just before the half-hour mark, with Emmanuel-Thomas showing a neat turn and finish to fire Blues in front.

However the visitors responded almost immediately and eventually drew level after 32 minutes. Town failed to clear their lines from a corner and Lennon was on hand to slam the ball into the roof of the net from close range after Lee-Barrett had spilled the initial shot.

The ‘keeper made amends five minutes later though, keeping out Danny Hollands drive from just outside the area.

Emmanuel-Thomas was proving a real handful to the Charlton defence and he was looking to add to his earlier strike, testing Button with a long range free-kick that the ‘keeper was equal to.

Blues were looking to retake the lead and Byron Lawrence went close with a left-footed volley from the edge of the area, but the Town captain could only fire wide after being set-up by Tyrone Mings.

Shortly after good hold up play from Jack Marriott saw him tee up Wordsworth on the edge of the area, but the midfielder couldn’t find a way past Button in the Charlton goal.

The visitors went close twice in quick concession just after the hour mark, first Jordan rattling the crossbar with a fizzing drive before Lee-Barrett produced a fine stop to deny Azeez after the striker had broken clear of the Town defence.

However the drama wasn’t finished there as the game entered its final stages.  Marriott showed real predatory instincts to fire home in the area with five minutes remaining, turning away from his man before burying the ball into the bottom corner to fire Town in front.

However Blues were to be undone by two late Charlton goals, both finished by striker Pigott. First the frontman headed home at the back-post with three minutes remaining before sealing the win with another goal a minute later.

After being sent through, the striker kept his composure to fire past Lee-Barrett to ensure the visitors took all three points as they look to clinch the League title.

Town: Lee-Barrett, Hewitt, Gardiner, Kisnorbo, Mings, Emmanuel-Thomas, Clarke (Berkane 50), Wordsworth, Timlin (Galvin 67), Lawrence, Marriott. Subs not used: Crowe, Robinson, Burke.

Charlton: Button, Osborne, Feeley, Lennon, Fox, Gower, Cousins, Hollands, Jordan, Azeez, Pigott. Subs not used: Phillips, Powell, Poyet, Silva, Goddard.

Pic: Greg Brown


Advertisement block