Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 14/12/2013

14 December 2013

Town made it four games without defeat with a hard fought goalless draw at high-flying Nottingham Forest. 

The home side had the better of the chances, with Blues ‘keeper Dean Gerken saving brilliantly from Simon Cox, the Forest frontman also seeing a header crash against the bar. 

Christophe Berra went closest for Town with a late effort beaten out by Karl Darlow.

Mick McCarthy stayed with the same side that beat Huddersfield last week, Paul Anderson taking his place on the bench after recovering from a stomach bug.

The wideman was one of three Town players returning to the City Ground, joining Luke Chambers and David McGoldrick, who was facing his former team-mates for the first time 
since leaving Forest for Blues in the summer. 

It was McGoldrick who conjured up the first opening, his cross gathered low down by Karl Darlow in the Forest goal. 

Aaron Cresswell headed clear from Djamal Abdoun’s cross, with Nathaniel Chalobah testing Dean Gerken from distance while at the other end McGoldrick’s ambitious volley was deflected over. Daryl Murphy heading wide from the resultant corner in an even opening to the game.

Simon Cox was booked for a cynical effort to bring down Frank Nouble after losing possession, his lunge failed to stop the Town striker flashing a drive at Darlow that the ‘keeper beat out. 

Gerken was then called into flying action at the other end, diving to his left to push away Abdoun’s strike, Andy Reid not being anywhere near as accurate with his left foot shot from 25 yards. 

The Forest management and faithful were on their feet on 20 minutes when Gerken threw himself at the feet of Cox after Abdoun sent him clear but referee Scott Mathieson waved away their penalty appeals. 

Jamie Mackie and then Cox were both denied in quick succession as Forest turned up the heat on the Town goal, Cox then smashing a header against the underside of the bar. 

McGoldrick, Town’s main threat in the first-half, tested Darlow with a left foot shot from 20 yards to bring the opening 45 minutes to an end. 

Reid’s clever pass almost set up Henri Lansbury as the second-half got underway, Chalobah then failing to find the target with a header from Reid’s free-kick. 

Another moment of quality from Reid with a perfect cross landing at Cox’s feet 10 yards out but Gerken did brilliantly to make the block. 

Lansbury picked up a yellow card following a clash with Cresswell as the hour mark passed, Greg Halford heading wide as Forest pressed for the opener. 

The home side made a first change with Darius Henderson on for Mackie, the substitute sending a header goalwards that was dealt with comfortably by Gerken. 

His counterpart Darlow had far more work to do minutes later, Berra forcing his way through the Forest defence before firing at goal, the ‘keeper coming to his side’s rescue. 

Berra went close again eight minutes from time, his header from Cresswell’s corner kept out again by Darlow. 

McGoldrick almost got in behind Jack Hobbs before Forest made a second change, Abdoun replaced by Matt Derbyshire – with Tyrone Mings and Gonzalo Jaro also joining the action. 

Four minutes of added on time couldn’t separate the sides though and Town left the City Ground with a good point ahead of the Christmas schedule.

Advertisement block