Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


9 February 2013

Henderson own goal separates the sides although Rhodes tries to claim the strike at Ewood Park

Town were beaten 1-0 by Blackburn at Ewood Park, with an own goal from Stephen Henderson separating the sides.

Former Blues striker Jordan Rhodes tried to claim the strike, although the ball did appear to come off stopper Henderson last.

Mick McCarthy made one change to his Town side, with Henderson replacing the injured Scott Loach in goal.

The game became a scrappy affair from the first whistle, with both sides struggling to get a foothold on the game and chances at a premium.

Guirane N’Daw had Town’s first attempt on goal, with the Senegalese midfielder teeing the ball up before volleying wide of the target after 19 minutes.

Blues went close to opening the scoring after 26 minutes, but Aaron Mclean’s flicked header from an Aaron Cresswell corner flashed just wide of Jake Kean’s far post.

The hosts did go close just before the half hour mark, with skipper Danny Murphy volleying wide of the goal from just inside the area.

There was still time for one more effort on goal before the half was out, with Luke Hyam firing wide from the edge of the area following a neat Town move.

However the hosts started the second-half the brighter and took the lead after 58 minutes.

Grant Hanley fired towards goal and saw his effort cleared off the line by Aaron Cresswell but Rhodes was on hand to pounce on the rebound and score from close range to fire Rovers in front.

Blues were struggling to create too many clear cut chances but did have strong shouts for a penalty waved away by referee Kevin Wright after 68 minutes, after McGoldrick went down under Hanley’s challenge in the area.

Rhodes was proving to be a menace to his former side and was unlucky not to notch his and Rovers’ second of the afternoon after 71 minutes, heading just wide of the target after being picked out by Markus Olsson.

Rovers did go close through former Blue DJ Campbell with six minutes remaining, but his shot was superbly charged down by Luke Chambers.

Then Campbell found Rhodes with a defence-splitting pass but the striker was unable to add to his tally as Henderson tipped the ball behind the post for a corner.

From the resulting set-piece, Rhodes headed just wide of the target with Henderson well beaten.

Town thought they had found an equaliser with two minutes remaining, as Anthony Wordsowrth headed the ball into the path of N’Daw, but the midfielder’s left-foot volley spun agonisingly wide of Kean’s goal.

Then in injury time Murphy picked out Richard Stearman at the back-post but the Wolves loanee could only divert his header back across goal and out for a goal-kick.

Blackburn: Kean, Orr, Dann, Hanley, Olsson, Pedersen (Campbell 57), Lowe, Murphy, M.Olsson, Kazim-Richards, Rhodes. Subs not used: Usai, Givet, Nunes, Morris, Goodwillie, Gomes.

Booked: Kazim-Richards

Town: Henderson, Stearman, Chambers, Smith, Cresswell, Edwards (Nouble 80), N’Daw, Hyam, Murphy, Mclean (Wordsworth 72), McGoldrick (Chopra 72). Subs not used: Lee-Barrett, Hewitt, Kisnorbo, Drury.

Att: 14,342





Advertisement block