Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 23/02/2013

23 February 2013

Town battled away to earn a share of the spoils against Huddersfield, holding the Terriers to a goalless draw at the John Smith’s Stadium.

Chances were few and far between for both sides, with Daryl Murphy having Blues’ best chance in the second-half whilst Stephen Henderson made a number of smart saves to deny the hosts.

Mick McCarthy named an unchanged starting line-up and substitute’s bench, despite losing to Watford last time out.

The game immediately became a scrappy affair, with the pitch conditions making life difficult for both sides, although the hosts did go close after eight minutes through Scott Arfield but his effort was deflected just wide of Henderson’s goal.

Four minutes later and Huddersfield fashioned another half chance as Adam Clayton spun away from Guirane N’Daw and Luke Hyam before snatching his shot wide.

Town were looking to break through the Huddersfield defence and although David McGoldrick and Michael Chopra were linking up well, so far Blues had yet to test Alex Smithies in the Huddersfield goal.

Blues were caught out after 34 minutes though as Lee Novak raced clean through on goal, however the striker failed to keep his composure and he scuffed his shot wide of the mark from just inside the area.

With the first-half nearing its conclusion, the hosts went close twice in quick succession. First James Vaughan tested Henderson with a long range effort, before Arfield saw his goalbound effort superbly blocked by Hyam.

Blues started the second-half well and good play from McGoldrick and Lee Martin saw the latter play in Carlos Edwards, but the Town skipper over-hit his cross and Huddersfield were able to clear their lines.

Town were indebted to Henderson five minutes after the restart, after the ‘keeper pulled off a fine double save to keep Blues on level terms.

First he thwarted Novak after he had broke clear of the Town defence, before then blocking Neil Danns’ follow up effort.

The Terriers threw on Theo Robinson and he immediately made an impact. Vaughan hooked the ball over the top for the Derby loanee and he looked destined to stroke the ball home but after mis-hitting his initial effort, Tommy Smith was able to get back and clear the danger.

At the other end, Blues fashioned their first chance on goal after 74 minutes, as Hyam played in Daryl Murphy but the substitute was foiled by Smithies, who got down low at his near-post to claim the ball.

Mark Robins’ side then went close to breaking the deadlock with ten minutes remaining, as a high ball wasn’t dealt with by Henderson but Sean Scannell hooked the loose ball wide of the target.

Henderson did make up for that error soon after though, being alert to keep out Jack Hunt’s driven volley from just outside the area.

As the game entered the final minute, Town came close to grabbing a winner. Edwards skipped past the challenge of Paul Dixon before seeing his cross blocked just in front of the goal by Peter Clarke, with Frank Nouble waiting to pounce.

In the end both sides had to settle for a point, which was a fair reflection of the game.

Advertisement block