Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


23 January 2013

Winter and Timlin goals not enough as young Blues are knocked out of the Cup at Pride Park


Town’s U18 side were knocked out of the FA Youth Cup, after going down 3-2 to Derby County at Pride Park.

Tom Winter and Mark Timlin netted for Blues in the first half, but strikes from Rhys Sharpe, Andy Dales and Jamie Hanson ensured the Cup run ended in the East Midlands for Russell Osman’s young Blues.

The first chance of the game fell to the hosts, with midfielder Niall Dawkins firing wide of the target after just five minutes.

Blues almost broke the deadlock after just eight minutes though, after Derby defender Jamie Hanson headed back towards his own goal and wrong-footed his ‘keeper, only to see the ball creep just past the post.

But Town did take the lead soon after, with Winter finishing off a neat passing move. Good work from Timlin saw him feed Jack Marriott, who saw his shot pushed into the path of Winter who side-footed home.

Seconds later and Marriott sprung the Derby offside trap but he failed to keep his composure and dragged his shot just wide of Etheridge’s far post.

 The Rams did close to drawing level though midway through the first-half but Adam Wixted’s effort from 25 yards flew just wide of the target.

However the hosts did draw level after 26 minutes, with the goal coming from the penalty spot. Matthew Clarke brought down Sharpe, who picked himself up to stroke the ball into the corner, sending Crowe the wrong way.

The Town stopper was then called into action two minutes later, pushing away Andy Dales’ half-volley.

However the Rams winger was to beat Crowe soon after, bundling the ball home from close range in first-half injury time after Blues failed to clear their lines.

But Russell Osman’s young Blues went in at the break on level terms, as Timlin netted Town’s equaliser seconds after going behind.

Byron Lawrence turned away from his marker before seeing his shot parried by Etheridge, but only into the path of Timlin who side-footed home.

The hosts made a bright start to the second-half and Crowe had to be alert to keep out a Wixted effort, after the midfielder had broken well from midfield just two minutes after the restart.

Winter came close to netting his second of the game after being fed by Marriott, but the winger fired his shot inches wide of the post after cutting in from the right.

However the hosts were soon back in front, with Crowe well beaten from range as Hansen smashes in a free-kick with 11 minutes remaining.

Crowe made a fine save from Bennett late on to keep Blues in the game, as the hosts looked to kill off the game.

Blues pressed for an equaliser but the Rams held firm and booked their place in the next round and a date with Manchester City, whilst Town will now focus on the league.

Derby: Etheridge, Hayes, Lowe (Hughes 69), Dawkins, Lelan, Hanson, Dales, Wixted, Thomas, Bennett (Revan 88), Sharpe. Subs not used: Wassall, Johnson, Rawson.

Town: Crowe, Hammond, Sowunmi (Robinson 44), Clarke, October, Winter, Berkane, Leddy (Willbye 84), Timlin (Galvin 90), Lawrence, Marriott. Subs not used: Marsden, Ramadan.

ATT: 436





Advertisement block