Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


20 July 2013

McGoldrick header enough for Blues to beat Barnet with Loach also keeping out a Byrne penalty

David McGoldrick headed the only goal of the game as Town beat Barnet at the Hive in the latest pre-season workout.

The striker glanced a header past Graham Stack into the corner just before half-time, after Scott Loach had earlier saved a Mark Byrne penalty.

The first chance of the game didn’t arrive until the 13th minute, with Harry Crawford seeing his effort deflected over the bar by the head of Cole Skuse.

Two minutes later and Loach was called into action, pushing away a Curtis Weston drive before Elliott Hewitt then blocked Edgar Davids’ effort on the rebound.

Daryl Murphy came close to opening the scoring for Blues after 20 minutes, but his shot on the spin was pushed over the top by Bees' stopper Stack and behind for a corner.

More good work from Murphy shortly after saw him link up well with Jay Tabb and Aaron Cresswell, with the left-back crossing for Kyle Hammond who was just beaten to the ball by a defender at the near-post.

However the first major talking point of the game came on the half hour mark, as a coming together between skipper Luke Chambers and Barnet striker Crawford saw the striker go down in the area and the referee award a penalty.

Byrne stepped up to take the spot-kick but Loach guessed right and denied the midfielder from 12 yards.

As the game was approaching half-time, Blues broke the deadlock. Cresswell whipped in a free-kick from the left with McGoldrick glancing a header into the far corner after 41 minutes.

Blues made a bright start to the second-half too, with Murphy clipping the ball just over the top following a goalmouth scramble two minutes after the restart.

The hosts then went close twice in quick concession. Firstly Andy Yiadom saw a fierce drive deflect just wide, before David Stephens then fired just wide of Loach’s goal.

Just before the hour mark, a delightful left-wing cross from Cresswell picked out Murphy, but the striker could only stab wide from close range.

Loach pulled off a superb fingertip save to deny Yiadom, after the right-back looked to curl the ball into the top corner.

Barnet midfielder Sam Cowler then went close to grabbing an equaliser late on for the Bees, but he side-footed just wide after substitute Roberto had shown some neat footwork to tee him up.

That was the way it stayed as Blues extended the winning run in pre-season.

Stack, Stephens, Johnson, Yiadom, Acheampong, Weston, Davids, Byrne, Gambin, Marsh-Brown, Crawford.

Town: Loach, Hewitt, Chambers, Smith, Cresswell, Hammond, Skuse, Wordsworth, Tabb, Murphy, McGoldrick. Subs: Crowe, Veseli, Bramble, Mings, October, Lawrence, Hyam, Berkane, Carson, Chopra, Nouble.



Advertisement block