Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


6 July 2013

Daryl strikes twice as Town start pre-season on a winning note

Town’s pre-season campaign got off to a winning start with Daryl Murphy on target twice in a 2-0 win at Shelbourne.

The Waterford-born player, who joined Blues in a permanent deal last month after three loan spells at the Club, struck with his first touch after coming off the bench at the break. 

Murphy then added a second soon after, finding the net from close range after Byron Lawrence had crossed from the left.

Blues dominated the play on a very hot day at Tolka Park but needed excellent saves from both Scott Loach and Dean Gerken to keep the home side scoreless. 

Frank Nouble should have put Blues ahead early in the first-half, the striker glancing a header wide from close range. 

Michael Chopra then went close, his right foot shot deflected behind for a corner and from the set-piece, Luke Chambers couldn’t keep his header down. 

Anthony Wordsworth weaved his way through the Shelbourne defence but David Tobin and ‘keeper Ger Hanley did enough to prevent the former Colchester midfielder finding the net.

Hanley was in action again soon after, holding firm from Mark Timlin’s shot, the young ‘keeper then denying Chopra inside his six yard boss before tipping over Nouble’s header at full stretch. 

Loach was barely troubled in the first-half dominated, understandably, by Town, but the Blues’ No.1 was forced into arguably the best save of the opening 45 minutes, springing to his right to tip away an excellent free-kick from Dylan Connolly on the stroke of half-time. 

Town made 11 changes for the second-half, with trialists Gerken and Dan Seaborne joining the action and were ahead inside a minute of the restart, ‘keeper Hanley failing to clear his lines and the ball cannoning back off Murphy and into the net.

Hanley was back on centre stage minutes later, doing well to deny David McGoldrick’s right footed effort.

Town extended the lead seven minutes into the second-half with Murphy again on the scoresheet, guiding home Lawrence’s cross from six yards out. 

The Republic of Ireland international was denied a third soon after, Adam O’Connor getting in a timely challenge while at the other end Gerken had to be alert to first beat out Aaron Ash’s strike, then keep out Ryan Robinson’s header. 

McGoldrick flashed a header wide from Kyle Hammond’s cross but Shelbourne continued to carry a bigger threat than in the first-half and Gerken was called into action again to smother Matt Taylor’s dipping volley.

Substitute ‘keeper Nathan Murphy tipped over spectacularly from Luke Hyam as the game entered the closing 10 minutes, the Shelbourne stopper then denying McGoldrick. 

Former Town ‘keeper Shane Supple joined the 400 or so Town fans in attendance at Tolka Park, with Blues’ finishing off the week in Ireland in winning style.  

Town starting line-up: Loach, Hewitt, Cresswell, Chambers, Mings, Skuse, Timlin, Wordsworth, Nouble, Chopra, Carson. 

Second-half: Gerken, Hammond, Smith, Seaborne, October, Lawrence, Hyam, Berkane, Tabb, Murphy, McGoldrick. 

Advertisement block