Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


10 July 2013

Murphy and McGoldrick on target as pre-season continues with victory at Crawley

Daryl Murphy and David McGoldrick were on target as Town maintained a winning start to pre-season with victory at Crawley . 

Murphy followed up his brace in Saturday’s 2-0 win at Shelbourne with an early strike and McGoldrick doubled the lead from the penalty spot just after half-time. 

Nicky Adams found the net for Crawley with a terrific strike on the hour in what was an entertaining 90 minutes at Broadfield Stadium.

Paul Anderson made his first appearance in a Town shirt after joining the Club from Bristol City on Monday and was immediately in the action, lifting the ball past two defenders before Murphy found the net from close range to give Blues a ninth minute lead. 

Dean Gerken, a team-mate of Anderson’s at Ashton Gate last season and on trial at Town, denied Jamie Proctor soon after and then watched anxiously as Joe Walsh sent a header inches wide. 

Anderson went close to adding to Town’s lead, drifting past ‘keeper Paul Jones but he couldn’t find the net from a tight angle. 

Blues threatened again when Cole Skuse won possession in the Crawley half and Murphy sent Josh Carson clear but the Northern Ireland international’s cross was cleared. 

It then took a great tackle from Mark Connolly to rob Murphy of a certain second goal after the Town frontman had cut in on goal after Luke Hyam released him down the right. 

Michael Chopra tested Jones with a free-kick but Crawley had their chances as well and former Blue Billy Clarke tested Gerken with a header. 

Town fielded a different side for the second-half, apart from Gerken who remained in goal and Blues could have been two up soon after the restart, McGoldrick’s cross finding Jay Tabb inside the box but the midfielder’s effort was deflected wide by Jones.

McGoldrick did make it two on 51 minutes though, the summer signing from Nottingham Forest scoring from the spot after Jones had brought him down.

Clarke sent a spectacular overhead kick just wide at the other end as Crawley looked to respond before the home side made several changes, the former Town Academy graduate one of the players that made way.

Adams had the home fans on their feet just past the hour mark with a terrific strike from 25 yards that beat Gerken and it needed an excellent save from the ‘keeper to prevent the goalscorer equalising a few minutes later.

Frank Nouble saw his effort go the wrong side of the post as chances continued to flow at either end, Luke Chambers then going close with a header.

Anthony Wordsworth rattled a shot over the bar as the game entered the closing stages, Aaron Cresswell making way for David October for the last 10 minutes, the substitute seeing the ball cannon to safety after rebounding off the post and then him after an effort by Jordan Adekunie in the nearest Crawley came to an equaliser.

Town: First-half - Gerken, Hammond, Mings, Smith, Khumalo, Skuse, Anderson, Hyam, Carson, Chopra, Murphy. 

Second-half - Gerken, Hewitt, Chambers, Seaborne, Cresswell (October 78), Lawrence, Berkane, Wordsworth,  Tabb, Nouble, McGoldrick. 

Subs not used: Loach, Timlin.  
Att: 1029

Advertisement block