Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


2 March 2013

Late McGoldrick strike earns Blues an excellent three points at Portman Road

A late strike from David McGoldrick saw Town secure an excellent 1-0 win over promotion chasing Leicester at Portman Road.


The striker fired home the winner with five minutes left on the clock, coolly slotting the ball beyond Kasper Schmeichel after being played through on goal by Daryl Murphy.


Mick McCarthy named an unchanged starting line-up, with his only change seeing Jay Emmanuel-Thomas replace Elliott Hewitt on the Town bench.


The first effort on goal didn’t arrive until the 23rd minute, with Harry Kane capitalising on a loose ball in the middle of the Town half but the Leicester forward snatched at his effort and it deflected well wide of the target.


The Tottenham loanee then went close again for the Foxes minutes later, slipping the ball away from Aaron Cresswell before lashing an effort on goal that flew into the side-netting with Stephen Henderson scrambling across his line.


Left-back Paul Konchesky was next to try his luck, firing over Henderson’s bar after 32 minutes as Town struggled to clear their lines.


Schmeichel had to be alert to keep out Carlos Edwards’ cross just after the half-hour mark, with the skipper’s centre evading everyone but the Foxes stopper at his near post.


Schmeichel again saved his side moments later, superbly clawing out a goalbound header from Luke Chambers before than seeing David McGoldrick head over from eight yards out from the resultant corner.


The Nottingham Forest loanee almost outfoxed Schmeichel after 37 minutes, as his cross into the danger area ran straight through a crowed box with Michael Chopra unable to add a touch and the Dane managed to keep the ball out.


The second-half started a lot quicker than the first and McGoldrick was unfortunate to see a drive beaten away by Schmeichel, with the ‘keeper winning the battle on this occasion.


The game was become a lot more stretched and the Foxes were soon presented with a great chance to go in front. Chambers’ backpass was loose and sent Kane clean through on goal but the striker rolled the ball wide of the goal when he really should have scored.


Blues then caught the visitors on the counter attack and a neat flowing move saw Edwards eventually cross to the back-post, where McGoldrick was waiting but he could only fire the ball well wide of the target.


The striker then turned provider for Town, cushioning a header into the path of Aaron Cresswell but the left-back dragged his effort well wide with 20 minutes remaining.


At the other end, midfielder Danny Drinkwater fired an effort over the top from the edge of the box.


With seven minutes left to play the visitors came close to breaking the deadlock, but Kane’s frustrations in front of goal continued as he could only head over Konchesky’s centre.


That was to cost the Foxes and Blues punished the visitors a minute later. Morgan was robbed off possession by Murphy and the Celtic loanee played in McGoldrick who calmly slotted the ball past Schmeichel and into the back of the net with five minutes left on the clock.


Town were throwing bodies on the line to protect the lead and a brave save from Henderson denied Wood before a combination of Tommy Smith and Chambers blocked Andy King’s left-footed drive with two minutes remaining.


Blues expertly saw the job out through five minutes of added time and looked solid throughout to claim a superb three points.


Town: Henderson, Stearman, Chambers, Smith, Cresswell, Edwards, Hyam, N’Daw, Martin (Emmanuel-Thomas 79), Chopra (Murphy 79), McGoldrick (Drury 90). Subs not used: Loach, Kisnorbo, Mclean, Nouble.


Booked: Hyam


Leicester: Schmeichel, De Laet, Morgan, Keane, Konchesky, Marshall (Gallagher 69), King, Drinkwater, Knockaert (Dyer 65), Kane, Wood. Subs not used: Logan, Whitbread, Wellens, Vardy, Waghorn.


Booked: Knockaert, Morgan


Att: 17,021 (1091 away fans)







Advertisement block