Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


25 March 2013

Young Blues defeated at the Cardiff City Stadium with Jack Marriott scoring Town's consolation goal


Town’s U21 Development squad slipped to a 3-1 defeat to Cardiff at the Cardiff City Stadium this afternoon.

Blues quickly found themselves three goals behind, before striker Jack Marriott pulled a goal back just before half-time.

However Town couldn’t find a way back into the game despite a spirited second-half performance.

Mark Kennedy fielded a youthful-looking side, with just Cormac Burke and Byron Lawrence previously tasting first-team action, whilst the hosts included first-team regulars Joe Mason and Filip Kiss in their starting line-up.

Blues found themselves behind after just eight minutes, as Etien Velikonja opened the scoring with a beautiful left-footed effort that curled beyond the reach of Town stopper Michael Crowe.

The strength in depth of the hosts was showing and the Bluebirds doubled their advantage soon after. A Kadeem Harris corner was flicked on by Josh Yorwerth before being volleyed home from close range by Rhys Healey.

Mason went close to extending the lead, but he fired wide of Crowe’s goal after cutting in from the left-hand side.

However the midfielder was involved in Cardiff’s third goal, which arrived five minutes before the break. Mason saw his shot blocked by Omar Sowunmi before being bundled home by Kiss from almost on the goal-line.

Town responded well to going further behind and almost immediately pulled a goal back, as Jack Marriot found the net against the Bluebirds- the striker had previously notched a hat-trick against Cardiff’s U18 side at the weekend.

Kiss went close to grabbing a second goal of the afternoon, but the midfielder was denied by the post from a tight angle, before the referee called time on the game.

 Crowe, Hammond, Sowunmi, Thorsteinsson, Leddy (Winter 46), Burke (Willbye 71), Berkane, Clarke, Lawrence, Marriott, Timlin (Bishop 67). Subs: Thompson, Robinson.

Advertisement block