Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


17 September 2013

Murphy and Cresswell second-half goals give Town the points

Town came from behind again to make it six points from six with second-half goals from Daryl Murphy and Aaron Cresswell. 

Joel Grant, a summer target of Town put Yeovil in front with a superb left foot strike just before the break but Blues responded in style. Murphy edged the ball over the line after first hitting the bar, then Cresswell won the game for Town with his first goal of the season just before the hour.

Mick McCarthy made two changes to the side that beat Middlesbrough at the weekend, Murphy and Carlos Edwards coming in for Frank Nouble and Paul Anderson, who was ruled out with a groin injury. 

Murphy was central to the first 10 minutes of action, bursting through but his shot was deflected into Wayne Hennessey’s hands, then sending a left foot shot high and wide. 

Ryan Tunnicliffe tested Hennessey from distance, David McGoldrick dancing around his marker on the edge of the box but Yeovil’s ‘keeper came to his team’s rescue with a smart save to his left.

Grant had a shot blocked for a corner in the Glovers’ first effort at goal, Andy Williams seeing a header drift into Dean Gerken’s hands. 

A wicked delivery from Cresswell threatened to find the head of McGoldrick before Liam Fontaine’s intervention, the Glovers’ defender in the right place again to clear from McGoldrick’s cross. 

McGoldrick – rich in confidence – left Jamie McAllister in his slipstream and sent a right foot effort just wide of the far post as Town continued to edge the possession and chances but the visitors carried a threat and Dan Seaborne got on the end of a free-kick only to see the offside flag raised. 

Murphy was denied by Fontaine’s block inside the box after a flowing move, Cresswell calling Hennessey into action again with a right foot strike from the edge of the box.

It was the visitors who went in front though on 42 minutes, Williams prominent in the move and Grant finishing in style with a terrific left foot strike from 20 yards to take the Glovers into the break ahead.

Williams and an excellent chance to extend Yeovil’s lead inside the first couple of minutes of the second-half but he fired into the sidenetting. 

Town responded with Luke Hyam’s effort deflected for a corner but Gary Johnson’s side continued to threaten and Joe Edwards failed to take advantage when clear in the box.  

The equaliser came on 52 minutes, Murphy squeezing the ball in at the second attempt at the far post after Cole Skuse had headed back across goal. 

McGoldrick sent a right foot shot wide, Tunnicliffe going close with a blistering effort just over as Town pressed for a second and it came on the hour, Cresswell curling in a beauty with his right foot.

Murphy was denied a third goal for Town after escaping the attention of Fontaine, the defender recovering to make the block, Tommy Smith heading wide from the resultant corner.  

Gerken had to be alert to clear a cross from substitute Liam Davis while his counterpart at the other end had to be equally efficient in dealing with Hyam’s strike with Murphy ready to pounce on the rebound. 

Skuse had a close range header kept out by Hennessey as Blues looked to tie up the points but at the other end, a sweeping pass from former Blue Ed Upson released Davis but his cross was cleared by Smith. 

Gerken made sure of the points for Town, denying Joe Ralls in added on time to see Blues chalk up a second successive home win in a profitable few days at Portman Road.

Town: Gerken, Chambers, Berra, Smith, Cresswell, Edwards, Hyam, Skuse, Tunnicliffe (Tabb 77), Murphy, McGoldrick. Subs not used: Loach, Hewitt, Veseli, Wordsworth, Taylor, Nouble.

Yeovil: Hennessey, Ayling, Fontaine, Seaborne, McAllister, Grant (Hoskins 76), Upson, Edwards, Ralls, Hayter (Moore 61), Williams. Subs not used: Dunn, Dawson, Foley, Davis, Nana Ofori-Twumasi.

Att: 15,340




Advertisement block