Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


22 December 2014

Sammon on target as U21s end year in style

Goals from Cameron Stewart, Conor Sammon and Alex Henshall ensured that the U21s finished 2014 on a winning note.

Stewart put Town ahead with a fine right-footed shot from the edge of the box, and Sammon added the second just before the break.

Henshall looked to have sealed the win early in the second- half with his low drive but a resurgent Colchester pulled one back through Sammie Szmodics four minutes later.

Cole Kpekawa made it a nervous final five minutes for Blues when he hit a stunning 30-yard shot into the top right corner of the goal.

Both teams carried a threat going forward in the opening exchanges and a good move between Henshall and Stewart resulted in Henshall sending an effort over the bar.

The home side were utilising some well-hit balls over the top, one of which found Szmodics, who squared for Dion Sembie-Ferris but he dragged his shot wide of the left post.

Town took the lead in the 20th minute after some poor defending saw the ball fall to Stewart. The winger took it down with a good first touch, allowing the next one to be a low curling shot with his right foot which beat Chris Lewington low to his left.

Henshall almost doubled the lead immediately after some good play between Balint Bajner and Sammon in the box set up Henshall, whose left footed effort was prevented by an excellent one handed save.

The U’s did come close to equalising but Kpekawa put the ball over from close range then Anthony Jeffrey’s low shot forced Michael Crowe in a save after a quick counter attack.

It was Town who struck before the break though, Henshall’s strong run through the middle saw the winger with enough room to shoot. Lewington saved but Sammon finished the rebound from six yards.

Ten minutes into the second-half and Henshall got the goal he deserved. Victor Guldbrandsen played the ball out to the winger who took a couple of touches towards the box before firing a low shot across Lewington and into the bottom corner.

The U’s looked to get themselves back in the game in the 65th minute with Szmodics’ low drive beating Crowe low to his left, despite the ‘keeper getting a hand to it.

The gap was almost closed again soon after, this time Szmodics tried to lob the on rushing Crowe from the edge of the box but he lifted the ball over the bar.

Szmodics continued to impress and fired just wide of the post after taking on two Blues defenders with 10 minutes remaining.

Colchester put more pressure on Town going into the final five minutes and Kpekawa hit a thunderous 30-yard shot into the top corner but Blues held on for the victory.

Advertisement block