Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


18 December 2014

Victor Gulbrandsen with the final spotkick as young Blues progress to Round Four after win over Colchester

Town’s U18s advanced to the 4th round of the FA Youth Cup, after defeating Colchester United 4-2 on penalties at the Weston Homes Community Stadium following a goalless 120 minutes.

The win sets up a trip to Sunderland in the next round, the side who knocked Blues out of the competition last season on penalties at Portman Road.

Midfielder Victor Guldbrandsen scored the definitive penalty for Town, with Monty Patterson, Kundai Benyu and James Blanchfield also converting from the spot.

Town enjoyed a lion’s share of possession in the opening exchanges and almost managed to break through the populated U’s back-line in the 9th minute when Cemal Ramadan’s cross hit the bar on its way across the box.

Ramadan had an opportunity seven minutes later when Joe Tennant fell over, giving him a clear chance on goal, but he blazed the ball over the bar from just inside the area.

Colchester registered their first shot on target on the half hour mark with Brampton’s tame effort being easily collected by Blues ‘keeper Sam McDermid.

The U’s pressed again shortly after but Joe Tennant’s header from a corner sailed over the bar.

Ipswich started the second-half brightly and were very unlucky not to go in front from Benyu’s free-kick, which was excellently saved by Callum Robinson who tipped the ball over the bar.

A minute later and another chance went just wide, this time Sam Ford diverting Guldbrandsen’s centre just wide of the near post.

Town continued to probe and Monty Patterson guided a right-footed volley wide into the side netting just past the hour.

With two minutes remaining, the referee made a big call by awarding Town a free kick just outside the box, when Tennant pulled down Shane McLoughlin, although it could have been a penalty as they had made their way into the box. Andre Dozzell sending the resultant effort inches wide of the target.

Neither side could find a breakthrough in extra time with the lottery of a shootout needed to separate the teams, with Gulbrandsen keeping his cool to send Town into round four.

Ipswich: McDermid, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Guldbrandsen, Woolfenden, Smith, Ramadan (Blanchfield 64), Benyu, Ford (Dozzell 64), McLoughlin (Jones 101), Patterson

Subs not used: Hayes, Ellis

Photos: Richard Blaxall

Advertisement block