Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


9 December 2014

Bishop, Henshall and Stewart all on target as strong Blues come out on top

A strong U21 team came from behind to beat Brentford at Playford Road with Teddy Bishop among the scorers for Blues.

The teenage midfielder joined fellow first-teamers Sean St Ledger, Balint Bajner, Dean Gerken, Alex Henshall and Cameron Stewart in action against the Bees in front of watching Town boss Mick McCarthy. 

Blues' first goalscoring opportunity came in the seventh minute. Henshall burst down the flank but Darren McQueen just couldn’t get on the end of the cross. 

Town opened the scoring with a well-rehearsed set-piece. Henshall’s corner found Bishop on the edge of the box and the midfielder applied a sublime side-footed finish that went in off the post. 

Henshall made another strong run into the Brentford box and had his shot well saved by ‘keeper Richard Lee.

The visitors almost had the ball in their own net soon after when Lee lost his footing just before James Tarkowski’s back pass reached him, with the ex-Watford stopper looking on relieved as the ball went just past the post. 

Town almost doubled the lead as Stewart sent a strike towards goal but Lee did well to close the angle at the near post and push the shot away. 

The Bees grew in confidence towards the end of the half and it took a terrific save from Gerken to deny Montell Moore after he danced through the Blues’ defence.

Brentford were level 10 minutes before the break though. Town failed to clear the ball from a corner and Louis Hutton fired in off the underside of the bar. 

The visitors threatened again after the restart. St Ledger in the right place to make a block after his attempted clearance had failed to clear the initial danger.

Brentford went ahead on the hour, Miller Rodney met Raphael Calvert’s right wing cross at the near post to head past Gerken.

Town responded, Bishop brought a save from Lee but soon after Blues were level when the ‘keeper was deceived by Henshall’s cross, which went in off the back post.

It was Stewart who won the game for Blues two minutes after the equaliser, the midfielder finding the net from Monty Patterson pull back. 
Town: Gerken, Emmanuel, Wyatt, Bishop (Patterson 65), St Ledger, Clarke, Stewart, Benyu, McQueen (Gulbrandsen 59), Bajner, Henshall.

Advertisement block