Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


24 February 2014

Taylor goes close for Town but Garvan wins it for Eagles

Paul Taylor played the 90 minutes for Town but it was former Blue, Owen Garvan, who provided the decisive moment as Palace came out on top at Portman Road. 

The midfielder beat Scott Loach with a free-kick in the second-half after Town had led through trialist Ambrose Gnahore at the break.

A strong Palace side had an early chance when Ali Gordon fed Dwight Gayle in the 18-yard-box, the striker’s fierce volley stinging the palms of Loach.

Town responded through Gnahore, on trial from Chelsea, who almost set up Alan Lee at the near post.

Another chance came a minute later, with Ted Bishop finding Taylor in the box but the striker fired over.

The visitors had an opportunity of their own in the 21st minute. Reise Allassani crossed from the right to Welsh international, Jonny Williams, but his tame effort ended up in the hands of Loach.

Taylor continued to influence the game, his shot from the edge of the box saved by Wayne Hennessey and was inches away from being turned in by Anthony Wordsworth on the rebound.

Town went in front three minutes before half-time through a great cross from Byron Lawrence that found Gnahore at the back-post and he converted from close range.

Palace were level though 12 minutes after the break. Omar Sowumni’s clearance landed at the feet of Williams and he made no mistake from eight yards.

Lawrence fired over the bar from inside the box but it was Palace who struck again midway through the half, Garvan’s free-kick squeezing past Loach. 

Jermome Williams came close to extending Palace’s lead when Gayle played him through, the left-back shooting across Loach and onto the underside of the bar before bouncing clear but the Eagles had done enough to leave Portman Road with the win. 

Town: Loach, Hammond, Mings, Bishop, Sowumni, Clarke, Gnahore (Michael-Percil 61), Wordsworth, Lee (McQueen 26), Taylor, Lawrence.

Advertisement block