Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


28 January 2014

McGoldrick on target again but McCormack penalty earns draw for Whites

David McGoldrick took his goal tally to 14 for the season but Town had to settle for a point at Elland Road. 

Blues created the better chances and could have been ahead before the frontman made the breakthrough 12 minutes into the second-half after a mistake by Paddy Kenny in the home goal. 

Town were only in front four minutes though, Ross McCormack earning his side the draw with a penalty after Luke Chambers was judged to have fouled Cameron Stewart.

Town made two changes to the side that beat Reading at the weekend, Paul Anderson retaining his place after an impressive second-half showing against the Royals, with Jay Tabb also coming in. Stephen Hunt was among the substitutes, joining new loan arrival, Frazer Richardson. 

Daryl Murphy had an early opening but couldn’t get his shot in on the edge of the box as the first 15 minutes passed without either ‘keeper being tested. 

Murphy then found McGoldrick with an excellent pass, the striker volleying wide while at the other end, El-Hadji Diouf was crowded out inside the Town box.

Cole Skuse released Chambers with a terrific pass but the defender’s cross was cut out by Stephen Warnock as Town looked the more likely to make the breakthrough and it  needed Jason Pearce’s clearance off the line to deny McGoldrick on the half hour. 

McGoldrick then turned provider for Ryan Tunnicliffe, who burst into the box but Tom Lees cleared at full stretch. 

Tunnicliffe then tested Paddy Kenny low down, Chambers heading over from the follow up cross. 
Leeds responded with Dean Gerken keeping out Rodolph Austin’s 20 yarder as the game began to increase in tempo, Cameron Stewart getting around the back but Christophe Berra in the right place to clear the danger. 

McCormack couldn’t direct his header from Stewart’s cross in the last effort of a first-half that Town shaded.  

It was Tunnicliffe again who had the chance to open the scoring for Town as the second-half got underway, the Manchester United loanee sidefooting his volley wide from 18 yards. 

Tunnicliffe was central to another Blues’ attack a minute later, robbing Austin and then feeding Murphy but Pearce kept out the Irishman. 

Town continued to carry the greater threat and Lees hacked the ball clear after Tunnicliffe had yet again breached the home defence, then Murphy fizzed a left foot delivery across goal that just needed a touch to find the net. 

The goal finally came on 57 minutes, McGoldrick shot from distance and Kenny let it slip by at the nearpost to give Town a deserved lead. 

Four minutes later Leeds were level though, McCormack making no mistake from the penalty spot after Chambers was judged to have fouled Stewart. 

Leeds immediately made two changes, Dominic Poleon on for Diouf and Alex Mowatt for Michael Brown as the home fans turned up the volume.

McCormack’s shot was deflected wide as Leeds, clearly lifted by the goal, pressed forward before Blues made a first change on 71 minutes, Frank Nouble on for Anderson. 

Gerken palmed away McCormack’s right foot effort, Skuse picking up the game’s first booking soon after for a foul on Sam Byram, who was replaced by Lee Peltier for the final five minutes. 

Town finished the game pushing for a winner, McGoldrick’s free-kick saved by Kenny in the final kick of the game. 

Leeds: Kenny, Byram (Peltier 86), Pearce, Lees, Warnock, Stewart, Brown (Mowatt 63), Austin, Kebe, Diouf (Poleon 63), McCormack. Subs not used: Cairns, Murphy, Pugh, Wootton. 

Town: Gerken, Chambers, Berra, Smith, Cresswell, Anderson (Nouble 71), Skuse, Tunnicliffe, Tabb, Murphy, McGoldrick. Subs not used: Loach, Hunt, Wordsworth, Mings, Richardson, Taylor. Booked: Skuse.
Att: 20,461


Advertisement block