Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


26 July 2014

Henshall with the only goal of the game so far to see Blues ahead at the break

 Town:Gerken, Veseli (Hewitt 45), Chambers (Berra 76), Smith, Parr (Mings 76), Stewart (Nouble 76), Bru (Hyam 57), Skuse (Wordsworth 76), Henshall (Anderson 61), Bajner (Murphy 70), Taylor (Marriott 45). 

Town continued their impressive pre-season form, by beating Gillingham 2-0 at the MEMS Priestfield Stadium.

Alex Henshall fired Blues into the lead inside the opening 60 seconds, before a header from Luke Hyam in the second-half sealed the win for Town.

Mick McCarthy included trialists Kevin Bru and Balint Bajner in his starting line-up, although Stephen Hunt again missed out with a calf injury.

Blues made the perfect start to the game, opening the scoring inside the opening 60 seconds after a succession of interchanging passes.

Good work down the right flank from Cameron Stewart saw him get beyond his man before fizzing a ball across the six yard box where Henshall was on target to score his first goal in Town colours.

Mick McCarthy’s side almost doubled their lead five minutes later, as Henshall delivered in a teasing cross from a corner on the left, with Tommy Smith powering a header just over the bar.

The hosts did have a good chance of their own to equalise after nine minutes though, with defender John Egan planting a header straight at Dean Gerken from eight yards.

Moments later, Gills skipper Doug Loft curled an effort towards goal, but Gerken was able to watch the ball sail wide.

Henshall was proving a constant threat down the left and he swept over a cross that Cole Skuse flicked towards goal, but Leon Legge managed to scramble away the danger for the Gills.

Jack Marriott came on for Town at half-time and he forced Glen Morris into a fine save just before the hour mark, after being sent through on goal by a neat ball from Skuse.

But Town didn’t have to wait long to extend their lead, as Hyam got in front of his man to head home a Balint Bajner cross at the near-post just after the hour mark.

Marriott then saw a goal ruled out moments later, after he had slammed home a rebound after Bajner’s header had come back off the post but the Hungarian striker had already been flagged offside.

At the other end, Tommy Smith stuck out a leg to deny Luke Norris, after the striker had escaped the attentions of Jonny Parr.

Bradley Dack then wasted a great chance for Peter Taylor’s side with 15 minutes remaining, as he headed wide at the back-post despite being unmarked.

That was the way the game ended, as Town saw out the job to claim another pre-season win and the attentions will now turn to Tuesday night’s trip to Southend.

Advertisement block