Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


1 November 2014

McGoldrick and Murphy on target as Bishop shines by the seaside

On the day that Blackpool turned on their illuminations on the seafront, Teddy Bishop lit up the show at Bloomfield Road. 

The teenager had a hand in both Town’s goals, the first with a touch of fortune, the second with a touch of magic. 

Stephen Hunt had already struck the bar with a free-kick when Bishop’s volley landed at David McGoldrick's feet and the striker wasn’t going to miss from 10 yards just before the half hour. 

Town’s second came on the hour, Bishop left three Blackpool defenders spellbound with a bit of wizardry and then fed Daryl Murphy, the Republic of Ireland international grabbing his eighth goal of the season. 

Blues were rarely threatened after that, easing the way to a second away win of the campaign ahead of a week that will see high flying Wolves and Watford visit Portman Road.

Town lost Dean Gerken to a groin injury in the warm-up, Bart Bialkowski coming in for his League debut. Mick McCarthy made two further changes to the side that drew with Huddersfield last week, Tyrone Mings returning after suspension and Hunt handed a start. The injured Jonny Parr missed out while Conor Sammon dropped to the bench. 

Hunt was inches away from giving Town the perfect start, the midfielder curling a free-kick against the bar after Bishop had been fouled on the edge of the box. 

Bialkowski’s first save of note came in bizarre fashion, Hunt sending the ball arrowing into the bottom corner after winning a challenge 30 yards from goal, the ‘keeper forced to push the ball behind for a corner.

Bishop sent a header wide then Hunt nearly got in from Murphy’s cross at the back post, Blackpool responding with Nile Ranger breaking down the flank, Christophe Berra with the clearance.

Bishop posed a threat just short of the half hour mark as he attacked a Mings cross and seconds later Blues were ahead, the teenager midfielder didn’t connect properly with his volley from Hunt’s cross but the ball fell perfectly for McGoldrick who sidefooted home from 10 yards. 

Jeffrey Rentmeister was at full stretch to clear from McGoldrick as the frontman threatened to burst clear and extend Town’s lead before the break. 

The second-half had hardly got underway before Blues were forced into a change with Cole Skuse suffering what looked like a groin injury, Paul Anderson the replacement.
Bialkowski saved well from Charles Dunne’s long ranger, Berra then smashing the ball to safety from Nathan Delfounesco’s cross. 

McGoldrick caused problems for the home defence at the other end, his cross hacked away by Peter Clarke, Hunt then finding the sidenetting when in a good position from McGoldrick’s pass.  

Town made it two on the hour though after a bit of magic from Bishop. The midfielder weaved his way past three players before setting up Murphy from close range. 

Bishop was given a terrific ovation by the travelling Blue Army when he was replaced by Jay Tabb for the last 20 minutes, the Academy graduate the standout performer on the day.

Conor Sammon was close to adding a third when he raced clear five minutes from time but his shot went the wrong side of the post, while at the other end Berra and Tommy Smith stood strong against a powerful Blackpool attack with Bialkowski rarely tested to the maximum.

The win, on Mick's two year anniversary as Town boss, extends Blues’ run to just one defeat in 11 games ahead of a big week at Portman Road.   

Blackpool:  Lewis, Dunne (Orlandi 64) , Clarke, Rentmeister, Daniels, McMahon, Lundstram, J. Oriol (Zoko 56), Delfouneso (Blackman 74), Miller, Ranger. Subs not used: Parish, E.Oriol, Mellis, Cywka. 

Town: Bialkowski, Chambers, Smith, Berra, Mings, Hyam, Skuse (Anderson 50), Bishop (Tabb 68), Hunt, Murphy, McGoldrick (Sammon 80). Subs not used: Clarke, Henshall, Bajner, Ambrose. Booked: Hyam.



Advertisement block