Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


18 November 2014

Tyke that! Young Blues hit Barnsley for six in goal frenzy

A thriller at Playford Road saw a youthful Town side record a 6-3 win against Barnsley.

Blues raced into a 5-1 half-time lead but the Tykes fought back after the break before Mark Kennedy’s side sealed the points late on with a sixth goal.

Town opened the scoring after five minutes when the lively Darren McQueen collected a loose ball 25 yards from goal, made space and fired across Barnsley ‘keeper, Christian Dibble, giving him no chance.

George Morris missed a golden chance to level for the visitors soon after, sending his shot wide of the post when through on Michael Crowe’s goal after a long ball had deceived the Town defence.

Morris made amends on 14 minutes though, reacting first to his own free-kick from 22 yards and smashing the ball into the bottom corner.

Three minutes later McQueen nearly restored Town’s lead but his header from six yards was tipped over by Dibble. 

In an action packed first-half, the Tykes then hit the bar after a low cross from George Smith was rattled onto Crowe’s crossbar, via a close-range effort from Nana Boakye-Yiadom.

On 25 minutes, Town went ahead. After initial good play from Victor Guldbrandson, the ball was worked up to McQueen, who beat his man then picked out Kundai Benyu who made no mistake from 10 yards.

That sparked a flurry of goals from Blues before the break. A free-kick from Monty Patterson from 25 yards fell kindly to Town skipper Matt Clarke and he converted from close range.

A fourth goal soon arrived when a corner from Cory Galvin found its way to the back post and an unmarked Guldbrandson, who, despite being at a tight angle, saw his shot evade everyone and find the corner of the net.  

Two minutes before the break, Patterson provided the goal of the game, the New Zealander cutting inside then sending a terrific left foot shot into the net from 25 yards.

The second-half started as the first finished but this time it was Barnsley who should have scored. After Morris was tripped on what looked the edge of the box by Ben Wyatt, a penalty was awarded. Morris took the kick himself but saw his effort brilliantly saved by Crowe.

The Tykes continued to press and on 52 minutes they got a goal back. Substitute Matt Templeton produced a good run down the Barnsley left and the unfortunate Clarke diverted his cross into his own net.

Galvin almost immediately responded for Blues but his 20 yarder went just over, while at the other end the dangerous Morris was unlucky to see his close range effort bounce off the Town bar and away to safety.   

Morris did add his second of the game in 80th minute though when, after being put through on goal, his shot from 12 yards managed to narrowly beat Crowe and the back-pedalling Clarke to gently roll over the line.

It was Sam Ford who confirmed the win for Blues three minutes later, the substitute finishing well from six yards after a dangerous Joshua Emmanuel cross found him unmarked to end an entertaining encounter. 

Advertisement block