Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 25/10/2014

25 October 2014

Town made it only one defeat in 10 but let slip a two goal lead to share the spoils at Portman Road.

Tommy Smith headed Blues in front in the first-half with his first goal of the season and Christophe Berra extended the lead just short of the hour.

Huddersfield were always in the game though and Nahki Wells converted from the penalty spot after Luke Chambers was judged to have hauled down Grant Holt.

It was Wells who struck again on 82 minutes to give his side a point and extend their unbeaten run to 10 games.

Town made three changes to the side that went down at Cardiff. Jonny Williams and Kevin Bru missed out through injury, with Tyrone Mings suspended.  Luke Hyam returned after recovering from a hip problem with Smith and Teddy Bishop handed starts.

The visitors started brightly and former Norwich striker Holt was handed a gilt edged chance to open the scoring on 12 minutes but he dragged his shot wide after Jacob Butterfield had released him inside the Blues’ box.

Daryl Murphy couldn’t connect from Chambers’ cross after a quick thinking Town free-kick, Blues’ leading scorer denied by Holt as he looked to get in on Berra’s header before Mick McCarthy’s side went in front on 21 minutes, Smith spinning off his marker to head in at the near post from a corner.

Wells almost capitalised on in-decision in the Town defence, Dean Gerken eventually smothering the ball with the goal open, Blues responding with Murphy weaving his way inside the visitors’ box but he couldn’t get his shot in.

Wells should have levelled the scores on the half hour, Holt’s flick saw his team-mate completely clear 10 yards out but Gerken saved the initial shot and the striker’s header from the rebound went over.

Butterfield, all neat and tidy in midfield, wasted a free-kick from the edge of the box that ended up for a throw-in as the Terriers pressed for an equaliser, the same player then letting fly from 20 yards with the same result.

Town were inches away from making it two five minutes before the break, Bishop’s free-kick nudged goalwards by Smith, the ball hitting the post but landing back in Alex Smithies’ hands on the goalline.

Town did double the advantage nine minutes into the second-half though, Jonny Parr’s clipped ball landed at McGoldrick’s feet and his pass was smashed into the roof of the net from close range.

Holt headed over from Paul Dixon’s cross as the Terriers looked to bite back, while at the other end Chambers’ first time cross was met by Murphy, his header deflected wide.

Huddersfield made a double change with Sean Scannell and Harry Bunn introduced on the hour, Bunn soon in the action with a shot wide, Berra then in the right place to clear from Wells.

The visitors were handed the chance to reduce the arrears on 69 minutes when Chambers was judged to have pulled down Holt in the box and Wells buried the spot-kick. 

Gerken saved from close range from Bunn before Town made a double change with Conor Sammon and Bishop making way for Jay Tabb and Paul Anderson.

Cole Skuse’s hooked the ball back in that Murphy headed on but Smithies gathered comfortably and seconds later the visitors were level, Wells heading in from Scannell’s cross to give his side a point.

Advertisement block