Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


1 August 2015

McGoldrick strikes from the spot late on as Town finish pre-season with a draw

David McGoldrick’s penalty in the last minute gave Town a draw in the final friendly of pre-season. 

The frontman showed a great touch to weave past three defenders before being taken down and he climbed off the floor to find the net from 12 yards. 

Sebastien Haller’s volley in the first-half looked as though it would be enough to give FC Utrecht victory before Didz's late leveller. 

New Blue Jonas Knudsen started on the bench for Town after joining from Esbjerg yesterday, Josh Emmanuel and Jay Tabb occupying the full-back positions. 

Ainsley Maitland-Niles started brightly for Town and had already shot across goal before Robbin Ruiter in the Utrecht goal had to beat out a powerful drive from the Arsenal loanee. 

Daryl Murphy almost forced his way in on goal until Timo Letschert eased the ball away from danger. 

It was the Dutch side who took the lead though on the quarter hour and in impressive style, Sean Klaiber’s excellent cross met superbly by Haller on the volley. 

Ruiter plucked Teddy Bishop’s 20 yard effort out of the air, Tommy Smith having to be alert at the other end to stifle the threat of Haller as he looked to convert from close range.

Bishop then weaved his way past defenders in the box but couldn’t find Murphy, Utrecht responding with Haller going close again from Louis Nganioni’s cross. 

Town’s best chance of an equaliser before the break came when Mark van der Maarel presented the ball straight to Freddie Sears but Ruiter was quick off his line to make the block, then Murphy was denied seconds later by a challenge eight yards out.

Knudsen joined the action for the start of the second-half, replacing Jay Tabb and the Blue Army immediately took to the Danish international, whose ability to launch throws deep into the opposition box will add to Town’s armoury this season.

Utrecht continued to threaten, Andreas Ludwig was denied by Bart Bialkowski then Chris Kum flashed a header wide. 

Kevin Bru, one of several substitutes introduced just past the hour had a gilt edged chance to level the scores 15 minutes from time, his first shot was blocked but with a clear sight of goal, he lashed the rebound over the bar. 

Knudsen sent a rocket shot against Kum, Larsen Toure, then brought down on the edge of the box but Bru’s free-kick was high and wide.

Blues’ equaliser came in the last minute, McGoldrick squeezing home a penalty past Ruiter after his run saw him brought down in the box.  

Town: Bialkowski, Emmanuel (Berra 63), Chambers, Smith, Tabb (Knudsen 46), Skuse (McDonnell 82), Bishop (McGoldrick 63), Maitland-Niles (Pitman 63), Fraser (Toure 75), Murphy (Coke 63), Sears (Bru 63). Subs not used: Gerken, Robinson, Yorwerth, Kenlock.

Att: 5,334




Advertisement block