Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


26 December 2015

Chambers wins in for Town with last minute header to keep Blues in the top six

The biggest crowd of the season at Portman Road saw Town come from behind to take the points thanks to Luke Chambers’ last minute winner.

The skipper timed his run to perfection to head Freddie Sears’ cross into the net and keep Blues in the top six.

Rangers had led from 44th minutes when Junior Hoilett headed them in front but Jonathan Douglas levelled for Blues, hooking the ball in from close range 13 minutes from time.

In a game of few chances, Cole Skuse cleared off the line and Brett Pitman hit the post but Rangers looked to have earned a point until Chambers had the final say.

Town stayed with the same side that went down against Derby last week, Luke Hyam on the bench on his return to Portman Road after his loan spell at Rotherham.

Chambers was a constant problem for Rangers in the opening exchanges, Blues’ skipper making inroads into their box down the right side, Grant Hall forced to clear on two occasions.

Daryl Murphy fired wide from a difficult angle as Blues continued on the front foot, the Republic of Ireland international seeing another effort blocked.

Christophe Berra had to be alert to stop Sebastian Polter getting in on goal, the QPR frontman looking for a penalty as he went down under the challenge.

Dean Gerken made a save from Alejandro Faurlin’s excellent free-kick look very comfortable as Rangers edged their way into the game, while at the other end Pitman’s strike was smothered by the Rangers backline.

Sears saw his effort blocked by Gabriele Angella as clear cut chances remained at a premium. Hall headed wide from Faurlin’s cross, Murphy close to finding the supporting Douglas’ run into the box, then Sears had a shot deflected over after Murphy’s strike had fallen into his path.

Rangers got the breakthrough right on half-time with their best move of the first 45 minutes, Hoilett heading in from close range following Matt Phillips’ excellent cross.

Leroy Fer fired over from 25 yards as the second-half got underway, then Tommy Smith was in the right place to clear from Hoilett inside the Town box.

Pitman was a coat of paint away from an equaliser on 54 minutes, the striker’s shot hitting the outside of the post from Chambers’ cross, Ainsley Maitland-Niles then hitting the wall with his free-kick from the edge of the box.

At the other end, Polter was denied at the nearpost from Hoilett’s cross before Town made a first change with Ryan Fraser replacing Maitland-Niles.

Rangers went close to extending their advantage midway through the second-half, Phillips sent Fer in on goal, he rounded Gerken but Cole Skuse cleared off the line after Gerken had taken the sting out of the shot.

Seconds later Blues broke, Paul Konchesky yellow carded for a foul on Sears as the Town striker looked to get in on goal.

Tommy Oar replaced Pitman in Town’s second change, Sandro also joining the action for the visitors, a brilliant clearance from Nedum Onuoha coming to Rangers’ aid soon after.

Blues were level on 77 minutes, Douglas hooking the ball over his head and into the net from six yards after a cross hadn’t been dealt with inside the QPR box.

Gerken held firm from Hoilett’s shot, Fraser volleying wide from 25 yards out as the points hung in the balance and it took an excellent save from Gerken to prevent Onuoha putting QPR in front.

As the game entered added on time, Chambers took centre stage, thumping his header into the net to give Town a big three points ahead of the trips to Brighton and Burnley.

Town: Gerken, Chambers, Berra, Smith, Knudsen, Skuse, Douglas, Maitland-Niles (Fraser 60), Sears, Pitman (Oar 67), Murphy (Varney 90). Subs not used: Bialkowski, Malarczyk, Hyam, Bru. Booked: Oar.

QPR: Green, Onuoha, Hall, Angella, Konchesky, Henry, Faurlin, Fer (Sandro 70), Phillips (Chery 82), Hoilett, Polter. Subs not used: Smithies, Hill, Luongo, Tozser, Emmanuel-Thomas. Booked: Konchesky, Onuoha.
Att: 23, 615

Advertisement block