Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


31 January 2015

Tabb and Sears go close for Town but Wigan leave with a point

Town were frozen out as snow swirled around Portman Road with a resilient Wigan holding on for a point. 

Blues had the better of what few chances there were over a disappointing 90 minutes, Jay Tabb firing over in the first-half and David McGoldrick and Freddie Sears both testing Ali Al Habsi in the Latics’ goal late on but to no avail. 

Town made one change from the side that went down at Brighton last time out, McGoldrick, fit again after a knee injury, replacing calf injury victim Daryl Murphy.

Marc Antoine-Fortune headed over from James Perch’s cross in the game’s first opening, Town responding with Tabb glancing the ball wide from Paul Anderson’s delivery.

Kevin Bru almost released McGoldrick with a terrific pass, the pace of the ball just skipping past the striker to the safety of Al Habsi. 

Town then conjured up a clear opening, Tyrone Mings found the supporting Tabb with a clever pass, the midfielder blazing his shot over the bar from 15 yards.

McGoldrick threatened for Town on the edge of the box but his shot took a heavy deflection and landed safely in Al Habsi’s hands, Noel Hunt then sending an ambitious effort wide.

Tommy Smith picked up a yellow card for a foul on Martyn Waghorn, Bart Bialkowski gathering well from Perch’s cross as James McClean looked to get in. 

William Kvist was booked for a tackle on Anderson, McGoldrick cutting inside but seeing his effort deflected wide, then Anderson unable to take advantage of Mings’ pass on the edge of the box. 

McClean became the third player to be booked before half-time, pulling back Bru, with Tabb testing Al Habsi with a header at the far post in the final chance of the half. 

Teddy Bishop replaced Anderson at the break, the teenage midfielder quickly into the game with a twisting run down the flank that Andrew Taylor ended with a timely challenge on the edge of the box. 

Perch was inches away from meeting a corner just past the hour as the points remained in the balance, Town then making a second change with Sears on for Noel Hunt. 

The former Colchester striker whipped in a cross that almost found McGoldrick, with Al Habsi then in the right place to save from McGoldrick after the striker got in front of his marker to get on the end of Mings’ cross.

Sears forced Al Habsi into a save at his near post from McGoldrick’s cross as Town looked the more likely to find a winner in the closing stages. 

Wigan introduced Billy Mckay for the last 13 minutes, the striker making his debut after joining from Inverness CT in midweek, Waghorn making way. 

Perch joined the names in referee Charles Breakspear’s book for a foul on McGoldrick, Jonathan Parr then joining the action, replacing Tabb for the last exchanges. 

The point leaves Blues three off the automatic promotion places.

Town: Bialkwoski, Chambers, Berra, Smith, Mings, Skuse, Anderson (Bishop 46), Bru, Tabb (Parr 83), McGoldrick, N.Hunt (Sears 63). Subs not used: Kenny, Clarke, S.Hunt, Ambrose. Booked: Smith.

Wigan: Al Habsi, Perch, Barnett, Ridgewell, Taylor, Cowie, Kvist, Huws, McClean, Fortune, Waghorn (Mckay 77). Subs not used: Carson, Boyce, Kiernan, Pearce, Cosgrove, Flores. Booked: Kvist, McClean, Perch.

Att: 19,155



Advertisement block