Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


11 July 2015

Comfortable win for Mick McCarthy's side as Blues hit six past Shelbourne in opening friendly of pre-season

Town kicked off the pre-season schedule with a convincing 6-0 win over Shelbourne at Tolka Park.

Alex Henshall, Darren Ambrose and Cole Skuse all netted in the first 45 minutes, before a brace from Brett Pitman either side of a strike from Jay Tabb capped off the win.

The Blues fielded two different teams in each half, with Mick McCarthy’s side 3-0 up at the break.

Henshall got Town off to the perfect start, scoring a wonderful solo goal inside the opening 60 seconds of the game as he burst past three players before slamming the ball into the top corner.

The lead was doubled midway through the first-half by Ambrose, who finished well into the bottom corner after being played in well by Freddie Sears.

The Blues enjoyed the majority of the possession and Skuse netted a fine volley late on in the half through a crowded box to see Mick McCarthy’s side lead comfortably at the break.

A whole new 11 appeared for the second-half but the story was much the same.

Recent addition Pitman netted his first in Town colours from the penalty spot after Josh Yorwerth was fouled in the box, calmly stroking the ball into the bottom corner.

Another summer signing, Ryan Fraser, was causing problems for the Shelbourne defence and he linked up well with Teddy Bishop who then picked out Tabb at the back-post who finished emphatically into the roof of the net.

Former Bournemouth man Pitman was soon adding to his tally, glancing a header beyond the reach of the Shelbourne ‘keeper after meeting a Kevin Bru cross, which capped off the comfortable win for the Blues.

TOWN FIRST HALF: Gerken, Emmanuel, Chambers, Clarke, Parr, Skuse, McDonnell, Henshall, Maitland-Niles, Ambrose, Sears.

TOWN SECOND HALF: Bialkowski, Hammond, Yorwerth, Smith, Kenlock, Bru, Tabb, Connolly, Fraser, Bishop, Pitman.

Pic credit: EADT


Advertisement block