Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


5 April 2016

Bishop back but Town left frustrated again in deadlock

Teddy Bishop returned to action for the first time this season but Town were left frustrated by another goalless draw. 

The teenager played the last 10 minutes after recovering from a hamstring tendon problem as Blues threw men forward in search of that elusive goal. 

Ben Pringle and Jonathan Douglas both went close but Charlton had their chances as well as they looked for the win that would boost their hopes of beating the drop. 

The result didn't suit either side, with Town now seven points adrift of the Play-Off places and the Addicks still in the bottom three.  

Town stayed with the same side that performed well without the reward of three points at Wolves at the weekend, Bishop in the 18 for the first time in an injury ravaged campaign for the midfielder.
Sears ripped a shot past the far post as Town started brightly, Brett Pitman almost getting in as the Charlton defence dallied on the ball. 

Liam Feeney, making his first Town start at Portman Road, sent in a terrific delivery from the right that was taken at full stretch by former Blues’ Academy ‘keeper Nick Pope. 

It was Town’s turn next to have in-decision in the backline, goalkeeper  Bart Bialkowski and Christophe Berra having a communication breakdown, the Scotland international scampering back to clear from Yaya Sanogo with the goal open.

Johann Berg Gudmundsson was replaced by Marco Motta early on after a clash of heads with Jonas Knudsen, the Danish international yellow carded for the challenge. 

It took a top save from Bialkowski to deny Callum Harriott putting Charlton in front on 20 minutes and an even better one from Pope to tip over Pringle’s curler seconds later.

The Charlton ‘keeper held firm again from Sears’ strike after the Blue had cut inside from the left, Tommy Smith covering well to prevent the breaking Jordan Cousins getting behind the Town rearguard.

Ademola Lookman flashed a shot wide of the post from 20 yards, Pope punching clear from Pringle’s cross, the Sears hooked the ball over after a good passage of passing from Blues. 

Pitman pulled his shot wide, then Bialkowski tipped over at the other end from a Motta header to keep the scores deadlocked at the break. 

Luke Varney replaced Pringle at half-time, Jorge Teixeira picking up a yellow card in the first minute of the second-half, Luke Chambers sending the resultant free-kick into the wall.

Sanogo headed wide at the near post from a corner, Douglas then at full stretch heading over from close range from Cole Skuse’s cross. 

Sears was denied by Teixeira after a terrific run through the Charlton defence, Douglas then sending a left foot strike over the bar. 

Douglas then set up Pitman with a lovely touch from Sears’ cross, the striker forcing Pope into a save to his left. 

Harriott’s radar was off after he weaved his way into the box, Feeney couldn’t get on the end of Sears’ cross before David McGoldrick entered the fray for the last 25 minutes, Feeney making way. 

Bialkowski beat out Cousins’ 20 yarder, Harriott finding the sidenetting, McGoldrick then seeing a shot deflected wide as the points hung in the balance. 

Igor Vetokele replaced Harriott in Charlton’s second change, Smith throwing himself in the way of Lookman’s drive on the edge of the box. 

Bialkowski twice kept Town on level terms, denying Vetokele with a terrific save low down before Bishop replaced Pitman for the closing stages. 

Both sides pressed for the winner with Charlton coming closest when Varney deflected a corner inches wide of his own goal.  

Town: Bialkowski, Chambers, Smith, Knudsen, Skuse, Douglas, Pringle (Varney 46), Feeney (McGoldrick 65), Sears, Pitman (Bishop 81). Subs not used: Gerken, Foley, Hyam, Bru. Booked: Knudsen. 

Charlton: Pope, Solly, Fanni, Teixeira, Fox, Diarra, Cousins, Gudmundsson (Motta 18, Makienok 86)), Lookman, Harriott (Vetokele 73), Sanogo. Subs not used: Henderson, Suk-Young, Lennon, Jackson. Booked: Teixeira, Cousins.
Att: 17,787






Advertisement block