Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


19 April 2016

Terrific late strike from Knudsen gives Town a point at Portman Road

Jonas Knudsen’s first goal for Town in added on time gave Blues a share of the spoils at Portman Road.

The Danish international finished superbly with his right foot from just inside the box from Freddie Sears’ cross.

Moussa Dembele looked to have won the game for Fulham with an equally good finish midway through the second-half until Knudsen’s intervention.

Andre Dozzell was handed his first start in a Town shirt after marking his debut against Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday with a goal as a second-half substitute. 

The 16-year-old was joined in midfield by Cole Skuse, who returned to the side following injury, Brett Pitman replaced David McGoldrick up front. 

Former Town loanee Richard Stearman headed clear from Knudsen’s delivery, Stearman staying strong again to win his aerial duel with Pitman from Sears’ cross. 

Dozzell got on the end of another Sears cross but couldn’t get his shot in, Christophe Berra showing his experience to cancel out the threat from a Rohan Ince led breakaway.

Tommy Smith, making his 250th appearance for Town, blocked a shot from Ross McCormack, Dembele then volleying wide from 25 yards in an even opening to the game. 

Smith cleared from another ex-Town loanee, Ryan Tunnicliffe, after the midfielder had got in down the right, then Bart Bialkowski got an important right hand to divert Tunnicliffe’s close range effort behind for a corner in the clearest chance of the first-half.

Dembele fired over after cutting inside from the left as Fulham edged the chances without finding the net before the break.

Stearman fired over after a corner had fallen into his path before Blues made a double change before the hour, Dozzell and Jonathan Douglas making way for Kevin Bru and McGoldrick. 

McGoldrick immediately released Sears but Dan Burn was alert to the danger, Bialkowski producing another terrific save to tip over Shaun Hutchinson’s header.

Liam Feeney’s header was comfortably held by Marcus Bettinelli, Sears’ cross then diverted away from goal as Pitman looked to get in. 

The Cottagers got the goal they had threatened on the break midway through the second-half, Dembele finishing superbly after Parker had set him up with a quality pass. 

Bru had a strike wide from 30 yards, Hutchinson going a lot closer at the other end with a header from a corner.

Bettinelli was forced into a good save to his right to keep out Pitman’s effort from the angle, Smith heading over from the resultant corner. 

Bialkowski’s clearance cannoned back off McCormack to safety, Bettinelli holding firm from Luke Chambers’ cross as Town searched for an equaliser in the closing stages.

McGoldrick almost produced it with a right foot drive tipped past the post by Bettinelli before Knudsen struck in added on time.  

TOWN: Bialkowski, Chambers, Smith, Berra, Knudsen, Douglas (McGoldrick 55), Skuse, Dozzell (Bru 55), Feeney, Sears, Pitman. Subs not used: Gerken, Digby, Kenlock, Foley, Hyam. Booked: Smith.

FULHAM: Bettinelli, Hutchinson, Stearman, Ream, Burn, Ince, Parker (Baird 87), Tunnicliffe, Christensen (Fredericks 69), Dembele, McCormack (Cairney 84). Subs not used: Lonergan, Garbutt, Woodrow, Smith. Booked: Parker.
Att: 19,953



Advertisement block