Skip to main content Skip to site footer


21 March 2016

McGoldrick comes through 90 minutes unscathed on his return as McDonnell strike ensures Development Squad claim a share of the spoils

David McGoldrick came through 90 minutes unscathed, as Town’s U21s were held 1-1 at Portman Road by Nottingham Forest.

The striker was making his first return to action following a lengthy spell out with a hamstring injury and his performance will have pleased the watching Mick McCarthy.

Town came from behind to claim a more than deserved share of the spoils, with Adam McDonnell cancelling out Liam Adams’ opener for the Reds.

Aside from Didz, first-teamers Jay Tabb and Paul Digby both came through 90 minutes whilst trialist Kieran Morphew also featured.

McGoldrick was immediately involved, showing a clean pair of heels to a Forest defender before curling an effort wide of the target.

At the other end, Town stopper Jacob Marsden made a good stop to deny Gerry McDonagh from close range after he fired at goal after the ball landed at his feet.

McGoldrick went close again midway through the first-half, glancing a header that went just wide of the far post via a deflection following a McKendry corner.

The visitors almost opened the scoring after 37 minutes though, as McDonagh got to the ball ahead of Marsden but Kieran Morphew was there to comfortably clear the ball away from danger.

Marsden was immediately called into action after half-time, saving well from Forest skipper Jorge Grant after he had glided past Morphew.

The visitors did break the deadlock moments later though as Ben Brereton send through Adams who turned away from Tabb before rifling past Marsden and into the bottom corner.

But the lead didn’t last long and Town hit back on 54 minutes, as McDonnell side-footed into the bottom corner after being teed up by McGoldrick.

McGoldrick was the main threat for the Blues and when he drove forward after 66 minutes to send over a cross for Blanchfield it looked as if Town would take the lead, before the ball just evaded the right-midfielder.

Youngster Charlie Brown was sent through by McDonnell with 17 minutes remaining but the ball got caught under his foot and Forest were able to clear.

McGoldrick went close again in the latter stages, hitting a low drive that wasn’t too far wide of Dimitar Evtimov’s post.

The striker almost won it for Mark Kennedy’s side in the closing stages but he was denied at the front-post by a smart save before the referee blew for full-time, with both sides having to settle for a point. 

Advertisement block