Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


4 April 2017

Sears strikes twice as Town pick up three vital points

Goals from David McGoldrick and two from Freddie Sears eased Town further clear of the relegation places with the biggest win of the season. 

McGoldrick put Blues in front midway through the first-half after good work by Myles Kenlock and then the goalscorer turned provider just before the half hour, sending Sears in on goal and the striker found the net in style. 

Emyr Huws and Tommy Smith were both denied a third goal for Town in the second-half before Sears wrapped up the game four minutes from time to take Blues nine points clear of the drop zone. 

Steven Taylor returned to the side after recovering from a hamstring injury in one of four changes to the side that drew with Birmingham at the weekend, Huws, Toumani Diagouraga and Kenlock the others, Jonas Knudsen missing out through a shoulder injury.

Wigan started brightly and Bart Bialkowski had to be alert to cancel out the danger from Max Power, while at the other end Huws forced a corner that Matt Gilks took right under his bar as Christophe Berra threatened at the far post.

Jordan Spence almost forced his way to goal, Kenlock then following suit on the other flank, cutting inside but firing wide.

Gilks held firm from Huws’ in-swinging free-kick before Town got the breakthrough on 21 minutes, Kenlock won possession on the left, broke and fed McGoldrick who made no mistake from 15 yards.

Blues doubled the advantage eight minutes later, again Wigan were the victims of their own downfall. McGoldrick robbing Jake Buxton and sending Sears in on goal, the striker beating Gilks in a one on one. 

Bialkowski gathered Michael Jacobs’ cross as Wigan looked for an immediate response before referee Andy Davies became the first on the pitch to be replaced, fourth official Darren Deadman taking over the whistle.

Dan Burn headed clear from Huws’ delivery, Bialkowski saving low down  from Power’s 35 yard effort before Town were forced into a change with Taylor replaced by Smith just before the break. Bialkowski saving from Jamie Hanson in the last action of the half. 

Alex Gilbey replaced David Perkins for the second-half in Wigan’s first change, the Latics winning an early free-kick that saw Craig Morgan head goalwards at Bialkowski.

Kenlock tested Gilks with a left footer at his near post as Blues looked to wrap up the points, while at the other end Hanson’s free-kick begged to be touched in  but evaded all. 

Gilks produced an excellent save to deny Huws scoring with the right foot curler from the edge of the box, Bialkowski doing even better to force Ryan Colclough’s snap shot over the bar.

Hanson wasted a free-kick in a dangerous position, Gilks denying Sears from close range after McGoldrick found him with a cross, the rebound falling to Ward whose shot was bundled away.

Smith timed his tackle to perfection to stop Colclough getting in, Kevin Bru replacing Huws in Town’s second change as the game approached the final stages.

Smith was denied by a brilliant save from Gilks when a third goal looked certain, Bialkowski then producing a fantastic save at the other end to keep out a point blank header from Callum Connolly. Seconds later Town made the game safe with McGoldrick and Sears linking up again and Sears finding the net at the second attempt.    

Bialkowski produced another brilliant save to keep out Gilby’s strike and keep his goal intact as Town picked up three big points.  

Town:  Bialkowski, Spence, Berra, Chambers, Taylor (Smith 45), Kenlock, Ward, Huws (Bru 77), Diagouraga, Sears, McGoldrick (Samuel 90). Subs not used: Gerken, Pitman, Williams, Moore. Booked: Kenlock, Diagouraga, Ward.

Wigan: Gilks, Buxton, Perkins (Gilbey 46), Power, MacDonald (Obertan 80), Jacobs, Morgan, Warnock (Connolly 75), Hanson, Colclough, Burn. Subs not used: Haugaard, James, Bruce, Byrne. Booked: Burn, Power.
Att: 14,661

Latest from

Tweets by @Official_ITFC

Advertisement block