Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 18/02/2017

18 February 2017

Freddie Sears on target in the opening 10 minutes but Leeds take a point

Freddie Sears gave Town an early lead but Mick McCarthy’s side had to settle for a point against promotion contenders Leeds.

The former West Ham striker finished with style on eight minutes after an incisive run by Emyr Huws but the Whites were level at the break with Stuart Dallas scoring against the run of play on 41 minutes. 

Town created the better chances throughout the 90 minutes and David McGoldrick hit the bar with a moment of quality, while Jonas Knudsen was denied by a deflection six yards out.   

Town made three changes to the side that drew at Brighton in midweek, Cole Skuse returned from injury to replace loanee Toumani Diagouraga, who wasn't eligible to play against his parent club. Sears and Christophe Berra also in the starting line-up. 

Berra was immediately in the action to cut out the danger from a Hadi Sacko cross as Chris Wood looked to get in at the near post before Town made that early breakthrough, Huws the architect with a terrific run, Grant Ward sent the ball into the Leeds box and Sears was first to react to volley in superbly. 

Knudsen did well to prevent the supporting Luke Ayling getting in for Leeds as the visitors responded, then Bart Bialkowski held on from Sacko’s cross after Jordan Spence had held firm to get a block on the delivery.

Ward ripped a shot over the bar from 25 yards, Sacko off target at the other end from the same distance, Bialkowski then spotting the danger from Eunan O’Kane’s 50 yard diagonal pass to beat Sacko to the ball

More good work by Huws saw the Wales international weave his way into the box and Knudsen looked certain to score six yards out but his shot was deflected over. 

From the corner, Rob Green was forced to push the ball over from underneath the bar, McGoldrick heading over moment later as Town continued to edge the play.

It was Leeds to struck next though out of nothing four minutes before the break, Dallas getting in at the far post from a Sacko cross to find the net with a close range finish.

Huws almost found McGoldrick with a terrific ball as the second-half got underway, Kyle Bartley preventing the Republic of Ireland international getting in on goal, the Leeds skipper then the first to head clear from Ward’s cross.

Kevin Bru replaced Skuse on the hour in Town’s first change, Sears then skipped past Ronaldo Vieira into the danger zone but the impressive Pontus Jansson put the ball behind for a corner. 

From the flagkick McGoldrick showed a great touch to twist and chip the ball goalwards only to watch it come back off the bar, Berra unable to convert the rebound.

McGoldrick was then inches away from converting at the far post after Bru’s free-kick had been headed back across goal by Berra as Town continued to carve out chances, Sears and then Ward seeing shots blocked inside the box.

Bru’s deft flick wouldn’t come down for Sears, Bialkowski then off his line to take Ayling’s cross from Wood’s head at the other end.

McGoldrick, full of confidence, released Sears with a brilliant pass and then picked up the rebound after racing into the box, Green pushing his volley behind.

Teddy Bishop entered the fray for the final 10 minutes, Huws making way. Luke Chambers did well to halt Pablo Hernandez’s run into the Town danger area but it was Town who continued to press for a winner but that second goal remained elusive.

Town: Bialkowski, Spence, Chambers, Berra, Knudsen, Kenlock, Skuse (Bru 60), Ward, Huws (Bishop 80), McGoldrick (Moore 88), Sears. Subs not used: Gerken, Smith, Pitman, Emmanuel. Booked: Knudsen.

Leeds: Green, Ayling, Bartley, Wood (Doukara 85), O'Kane, Dallas, Jansson, Hernandez, Sacko (Barrow 76), Vieira, Berardi. Subs not used: Silvestri, Cooper, Roofe, Bridcutt, Pedraza.
Att 18,745 

Advertisement block