Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 04/03/2017

4 March 2017

Huws on the scoresheet for Town but Yennaris gives Brentford a point

Emyr Huws grabbed his second goal for Town but Mick McCarthy’s side had to settle for a fourth successive 1-1 draw. 

The Wales international, on loan from Cardiff in January, volleyed home on 26 minutes to edge Blues in front but Nico Yennaris levelled before the break with a superbly crafted goal.

Sergi Canos was inches away from putting Brentford in front in the second-half, Myles Kenlock clearing off the line and the influential Cole Skuse almost won it for Blues minutes from time as Town extended the unbeaten run to six games. Town made one change to the side that drew at Norwich last weekend, leading scorer Tom Lawrence returning to the side in place of Freddie Sears. 

Brentford were delayed on the way to the ground but it was the Bees who were the quicker out of the blocks, with Canos twice threatening the Town goal inside the first few minutes, then Jonas Knudsen clearing after Rico Henry tried to weave his way into the box.

David McGoldrick was crowded out as he responded for Blues, Lawrence whipping in a cross that just evaded McGoldrick’s run at the far post.

Jordan Spence couldn’t take advantage after Grant Ward’s cross wasn’t cleared in the Brentford box, then Bart Bialkowski gathered from Jota’s cross as Canos again looked to get in. 

Lawrence was swamped by Bees defender as he twisted and turned on the edge of the box and it was the Welshman who had a hand in the opening goal, his cross falling to his international team-mate Huws, who spun and volleyed into the corner just before the half hour. 

Ryan Woods’ cross forced a corner as John Egan challenged, Maxime Colin heading over from the delivery, the Brentford defender then doing well to clear from Spence’s cross at the other end. 

Dean Smith’s side continued to carry a threat and Christophe Berra did well to block from Lasse Vibe, then Romaine Sawyers saw his shot deflected wide as the Bees pressed for an equaliser. 

Just before the break they were level and it was a terrific goal as well, Sawyers’ superb ball, after the visitors kept possession well, released Yennaris and he finished in style.

McGoldrick had a shot blocked after Lawrence set him up 25 yards out as the second-half got underway, Daniel Bentley quickly off his line to prevent Lawrence getting in. 

Canos had a shot deflected wide before Town made a change early in the second-half, Toumani Diagouraga on for Ward, with Yoann Barbet joining the fray for the injured Andreas Bjelland.

Canos fired wide, the threat from Jota was cancelled out by Berra but Brentford should have been ahead whenCanos got clear in goal, Bialkowski took the sting out of the shot but it was going in until Kenlock cleared off the line.

Kevin Bru replaced Huws for the final quarter, McGoldrick seeing his shot blocked as the points hung in the balance, Henry sending an ambitious 35 yarder over.  

Luke Chambers did well to divert the ball back to safety as Brentford pressed for the decisive second goal, Kieffer Moore replacing Lawrence in the final change for Blues.   

Egan was inches away from getting his head on a wayward shot at the far post, Bialkowski holding firm from Woods’ cross as the Bees looked the more likely winners. 

The outstanding Skuse could have won it for Blues late on though, Bru’s clever pass putting the midfielder in but he was at full stretch and Bentley saved. 
Town: Bialkowski, Spence, Chambers, Berra, Knudsen, Kenlock, Skuse, Ward (Diagouraga 57), Huws (Bru 71), Lawrence (Moore 82), McGoldrick. Subs not used: Gerken, Smith, Sears, Pitman.

Brentford: Bentley, Colin, Bjelland (Barbet 56), Egan, Henry, Woods, Yennaris, Sawyers, Vibe (Shaibu 71), Jota, Canos (Jozefzoon 69). Subs not used: Bonham, Kerschbaumer, Clarke, Cole.
Att: 15,863

Advertisement block