Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


25 November 2017

Adomah double gives Villa the points

Town matched promotion contenders Villa for long periods but two goals from Albert Adomah gave the home side the points.

The former Bristol City and Middlesbrough flyer broke the deadlock from close range just past the half hour mark and then put daylight between the teams with a cool finish midway through the second-half.

Grant Ward went close for Blues and Teddy Bishop had his first action of the season following a hernia operation but Villa held on without too many scares for the three points.  

Freddie Sears was one of four changes from the team that drew with Sheffield Wednesday in midweek, the striker replacing the injured David McGoldrick. Jonas Knudsen returned from suspension, while Grant Ward and Dominic Iorfa were also handed starting places.

Villa forced an early corner when Robert Snodgrass and Keinan Davis linked up but Luke Chambers cleared the danger.

The Town skipper read the play again to thwart the run of Adomah, then Snodgrass’ free-kick was headed wide by Alan Hutton from 10 yards.

Ward’s cross was put behind for a corner, Joe Garner forcing the ball over the line after Sam Johnstone appeared to drop the ball but referee Tony Harrington curbed the celebrations, awarding a free-kick to Villa.

Bartosz Bialkowski saved low down from Davis’ left footer as the game sprung into life, Iorfa clearing as Snodgrass’s backheel almost opened the way for Adomah.

Iorfa was prominent at the other end seconds later, his surging 60 yard run created an opening for Ward, the midfielder over the bar with his shot.

Villa were forced into a change midway through the first-half with Mile Jedinak replaced by Chris Samba, the substitute hacking clear after an excellent run by Martyn Waghorn.

Town enjoyed a spell of possession around the Villa box, Ward and Sears both having shots at goal, the midlanders responding with a header just over from Davis.

It was Villa who got the breakthrough on 36 minutes, Glenn Whelan recycled the play with a header into the box after Snodgrass’s corner had been cleared and Adomah toe-poked the ball past Bialkowski.

Adomah blasted over as the home side threatened a second, but Blues continued to worry the Villa defence and Ward and Iorfa linked up well again before Whelan spotted the danger.

Bialkowski punched cleared from Snodgrass’ free-kick, the Town ‘keeper then saving comfortably from Conor Hourihane’s curler in the last action of an even first 45 minutes.

Waghorn’s corner was deflected over by Garner as Blues looked to get back on level terms immediately after the break, Cole Skuse’s shot blocked on the edge of the box.

Snodgrass fed Adomah down the right, Bialkowski equal to the task before Blues made a double change on the hour, Emyr Huws and Bersant Celina on for Sears and Ward.

Huws’ first touch was to take a smashed clearance from Samba straight in his face, the Wales international knocked off his feet and seconds later, Town were grounded when Snodgrass sent Adomah through on goal and he finished in style.

Teddy Bishop replaced the injured Iorfa in Town’s final change, Johnstone quick off his line to smother the danger from Waghorn after Celina had opened up the Villa defence.  

Huws headed over from Waghorn’s cross, Adomah denied the chance of a hat-trick at the other end as Adam Webster timed his challenge to perfection but it was the Villa frontman who proved the difference.

Villa: Johnstone, Taylor (Elmohamady 80), Chester, Whelan, Snodgrass, Hourihane, Jedinak (Samba 25), Onomah, Hutton, Adomah, Davis (Grealish 86).  Subs not used: Steer, De Laet, Lansbury, O’Hare.

Town: Bialkowski, Iorfa (Bishop 74), Chambers, Webster, Knudsen, Ward (Celina 60), Skuse, Connolly, Sears (Huws 60), Waghorn, Garner.  Subs not used: Gerken, Spence, Kenlock, Bru. Booked: Connolly, Huws.

Att: 30,427


Advertisement block