Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 February 2018

Tow denied in added on time after Chambers looked to have won it

Luke Chambers looked to have ended Town’s nine year wait for a derby success with a goal on 90 minutes only for Norwich to level with the last touch of the game.

The Town skipper beat everyone to a corner to head past Angus Gunn and send the Blue Army into a frenzy.

It looked enough to have won the game but Timm Klose rescued a point for his side when he headed in right on the whistle.  

Town made three changes to the side that drew with Burton last weekend, with Stephen Gleeson, Dominic Iorfa and Adam Webster coming in.

Blues started at a good intensity and forced an early corner in front of the 2000 strong travelling Blue Army, Martyn Waghorn’s delivery was flicked on by Dominic Iorfa to cause an anxious moment for Norwich, Jonas Knudsen then swinging in a cross from the other flank that was held by Angus Gunn as Town started brightly.

Cameron Carter-Vickers showed his strength to hold off Josh Murphy, Knudsen got on the end of Gleeson’s terrific pass but headed wide from a great position, then Waghorn forced Gunn into a save low to his right.

James Maddison released Nelson Oliveira down the left channel but the striker’s cross drifted harmlessly away from danger, then Waghorn led a break for Blues but couldn’t get his shot in.

Oliveira dragged his shot wide from distance, Maddison sent a free-kick past the far post but Callum Connolly was much closer with am 30 yard free-kick that Gunn held at the second attempt as Gleeson looked to pounce.

Knudsen had a right foot volley blocked, Murphy off target from the edge of the box for the Canaries, then Gunn did well to beat out Waghorn’s deflected free-kick.

Iorfa surged into the box and went down to spark penalty appeals - mainly from the Blue Army - but referee David Coote was having none of it as the half came to an end with Town going much closer to breaking the deadlock than the hosts.

Maddison won a free-kick on the edge of the box as the second-half got underway and it needed a terrific save from Bialkowski to keep his effort out, then Klose had a great chance to put the Canaries in front from the resultant corner but failed to get a connection when the ball fell to him six yards out.

Town made a first change with Joe Garner, who had been booked, replaced by David McGoldrick on the hour, the Republic of Ireland international unable to release Waghorn as he looked to make an immediate impact.

Maddison drifted into the Town box but fired over, Luke Hyam replacing Gleeson in a second swap for Blues.

Bialkowski kept out Maddison’s free-kick as the home side pressed for an opener, Murphy’s shot blocked after the Canaries worked a short corner, Bialkowski in the action again to deny Oliveira.

Maddison forced the Town ‘keeper into another save, Hyam doing well to prevent Murphy getting in before Blues made a final change with Jordan Spence on for Iorfa.

Waghorn’s free-kick was cleared by Harrison Reed, then Knudsen had a shot deflected over before the Blue Army erupted with Chambers thumping a header home.  

With seconds left though, Town switched off and Klose got on the end of a cross to level the scores and keep Blues looking for that first derby win since 2009.

Norwich: Gunn, Reed (Vrancic 90), Zimmermann, Oliveira, Leitner, Murphy (Srbeny 84), Klose, Maddison, Lewis, Tettey (Hernandez 90), Hanley. Subs not used: McGovern, Pinto, Watkins, Stiepermann. Booked: Leitner.

Town: Bialkowski, Iorfa (Spence 78), Chambers, Carter-Vickers, Webster, Knudsen, Skuse, Connolly, Gleeson (Hyam 67), Waghorn, Garner (McGoldrick 61). Subs not used: Crowe, Celina, Ward, Carayol. Booked: Garner, Skuse, Connolly, Waghorn, Spence.
Att: 27,100





Advertisement block