Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


10 February 2018

Blues held as Bart denies Burton late on

Bart Bialkowski helped Town to second successive clean sheet in a disappointing game at Portman Road.

Blues ‘keeper denied Darren Bent early in the second-half and then produced a fantastic save to keep out a deflected Luke Chambers header from giving Burton the points in added on time.

Town made one change to the side that beat Sunderland last weekend, Bersant Celina replacing Freddie Sears.

Former Blue, Bent, was given a warm welcome on his return to Portman Road and his Burton side started well, Martin Samuelsen’s cross deflected just over, the Brewers then calling for a penalty for handball as Jonas Knudsen cleared.

Bialkowski held firm from a free-kick, then Lloyd Dyer cut inside and ripped a shot over the bar from the edge of the box.

Grant Ward’s cross was cleared as Town began to get in the game, while at the other end Samuelsen fired high and wide when Bent was demanding a cross in a much better position.

Jamie Allen had a shot blocked 20 yards out as Burton continued to look the more likely to break the deadlock, Cameron Carter-Vickers - not for the first time - throwing himself in the way of a shot.

Allen volleyed over after Luke Chambers’ headed clearance fell to him on the edge of the box, then Martyn Waghorn was denied as he tried weave his way to goal as a disappointing first-half came to an end with neither ‘keeper tested.

Town started the second-half on the front foot and Celina almost found his way to goal after Ward’s cross fell into his path, Kyle McFadzean then heading clear as Waghorn threatened.

Ward found space down the right but John Brayford came to Burton’s rescue before Bent had a great chance put the visitors in front, shrugging off Carter-Vickers but Bialkowski denied him in a one on one.

Town made a double change on the hour with Callum Connolly and Ward replaced by Stephen Gleeson and Muzzy Carayol, on for his debut.

Carayol immediately won a free-kick on the edge of the Burton box, Waghorn fizzing a shot just wide.

Carayol skipped past two challenges but his cross was cleared before Bent was replaced by Liam Boyce in Burton’s first change.

McFadzean cleared at full stretch from Joe Garner’s cross as Celina waited to pounce, Carayol sent a piledriver just wide from 25 yards, then Carter-Vickers headed over from a corner.

Stephen Bywater saved comfortably from Celina, then Bialkowski produced a brilliant save to prevent the ball skimming off Chambers’ head and into the net in added on time.

Town: Bialkowski, Spence, Chambers, Carter-Vickers, Knudsen, Ward (Carayol 60), Connolly (Gleeson 60), Skuse, Celina, Garner, Waghorn. Subs not used: Crowe, Iorfa, Webster, Hyam, Sears.

Burton: Bywater, Brayford, Allen, McFadzean, Bent (Boyce 71), Akins, Dyer (Sordell 80), Naylor, Davenport, Samuelsen, Akpan. Subs not used: Campbell, McCrory, Buxton, Barker, Sbarra. Booked: Dyer.

Att:13, 815



Advertisement block